A code of ethics is a code of behavior or conduct, justified according
to a reasoned value system. Each team developed a code of ethics that defined guiding values for how
they worked with each other in 2.009. Links are provided below.
Red team code of ethics
Members of red team shall uphold and advance the integrity, honor and dignity
of the team and team members by:
I. using their knowledge and skill for the enhancement of human welfare;
II. being honest and impartial, and serving with fidelity the public, and
fellow students; and
III. striving to learn and develop their skills as engineers.
1. Group members shall hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of
the public in the performance of their professional duties.
2. Group members shall strive to fairly and impartially evaluate ideas and
the performance of other members.
3. Group members shall use the budget responsibly and transparently, looking
for consensus on purchases when appropriate.
4. Group members shall strive for a fair distribution of labor, and will
complete work assigned in a timely manner.
5. Group members shall only gain research and engineering data from reputable
persons or organizations.
6. Group members shall refrain from gossip, and personal issues will be
addressed directly in a respectful way.
7. Group members shall consider environmental impact in their participation
Green team code
1. Team Green shall engage only in safe production and working methods,
and shall only produce products that are safe to operate.
2. Team Green members shall treat others with respect and honesty in all
ways. This shall include respect of others’ time.
3. Team Green members shall contribute equally in the pursuit of its goals.
4. Team Green shall make known the source of all information and ideas,
and shall attribute credit to each source appropriately.
5. Team Green shall develop products that are useful to others and satisfy
the learning goals of the team.
6. Team Green shall utilize sustainable processes and responsible use of
Blue team code of
1. Team members shall keep safety paramount in all aspects of design and
2. Team members shall respect other people's ideas while remaining honest.
3. Team members shall keep all information sharing fact-based and supported.
4. Team members shall not gossip but strive to maintain team unity.
5. Team members shall ask for help and/or advice if they start to struggle.
6. Team members shall not use drugs or alcohol for a minimum of 6 hours
before arriving at lab.
7. Team members shall always strive to use their time efficiently and effectively
to reduce wasted time.
8. Team members shall always complete the assignments they are given to
the best of their ability.
Yellow team code
1. Only purchase products that are necessary to the project with our 2.009
2. Look out for the safety of our team members.
3. Develop a product that's safe and reliable for our customers.
4. Everything that we present will be firmly backed by our research.
5. Give proper credit where credit is deserved to outside contributors.
6. Respect fellow team members.
Orange team code
Orange Team will uphold integrity, honor, and dignity of the engineering
profession as well as MIT by being honest and impartial, and serving ourselves
and the public with fidelity.
1. Orange Team shall respect all teammates and classmates by listening to
others' ideas, providing constructive criticism, giving credit where credit
is due, tabling personal agendas, being punctual, letting people know in
advance of a meeting conflict, and communicating honestly and respectfully.
2. Orange Team shall exercise integrity in designing a product or process
by using and reporting accurate data, admitting problems and unsuccessful
ideas, refraining from hiding information, and always keeping an open mind.
3. Orange Team shall use resources honestly and effectively by providing
legitimate justification for all purchases, using Team money only for Team
projects, borrowing supplies only with the permission of the owner, and
returning borrowed supplies in their original conditions.
4. Orange Team members shall accept personal responsibility by being safe
and helping others staying safe, upholding MIT's academic standards, representing
MIT well, and upholding the ASME Code of Ethics.
Purple team code
i. Do not lie, cheat, or steal.
ii. Always maintain a positive attitude while working towards a team goal.
iii. Strive to give a total effort to the team and the project at all times.
1. Use resources effectively, whether they are the team funds, a teammate's
time, or a professor's aid.
2. Always keep in mind all relative safety concerns in lab and in final
3. Keep a cooperative spirit between separate teams; do not provoke negative
4. Make major decisions only after all proper research has been done and
the consent of the team has been obtained.
5. Be respectful of others' opinions; keep an open mind and criticize each
6. Commit only to tasks that can be competently completed under given time