Here it is, step by step instuctions on how to pole vault.
There are about eleven main steps to pole vaulting
- First, when you are running down the runway you must accelerate into the box, or else you will not get the proper bend that you need in the pole. Then you drive the pole into the box, and drive you knee into the air. You must concentrate on keeping you arms straight at this point.
- Second, after you have pentetrated the box, you must drive with you arms into the box, while swinging your legs and hips to meet your arms. This is where you first start to invert.
- Third, you have to really drive "down" with you arms while bringing your legs up.
- Fourth, you have to keep pressure into the pole then you have to really rock back and get ready to pop up with you legs and hips, almost through your arms.
- Fifth, here you really have to rock back and get your hips in position for the push of the pole. If your hips are in the wrong position, you may not utilize the full force of the pole.
- Sixth, now you should be fully extended and you should be starting your turn at this point. You have to be patient and let the pole finish straightening, out, you want to use all of the energy from the pole. Here is where most pole vaulters lose alot of their energy, becuase you have to keep you center of gravity just right.
- Seven, as the pole straightens you have to concentraite on using the full length of the pole. You have to remain straight and try to extend as long and as high as possible without peeking.
- Eight, here you are at your peek, where you have to rotate around the bar, and get ready to let go of the pole.
- Nine, now you have to think about not hitting the bar. You must continue to turn around the bar, but you have to bring you elbows up in and outward way so that you dont knock the bar down.
- Ten, now you are pretty much clear. You just have to watch those elbows and suck in your chest to gain another centimeter or two (in case you are close).
- Eleven, now you have cleared. You just have to sit back, and enjoy ride down to Earth.
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO THE PROJECT PAGE
Written and Created by Danny Bush, Novemer 20, 1997.