- Faculty Directory
- Academic Staff Directory
- Administrative Staff Directory
- Pappalardo Fellows Directory
- Postdoctoral Scholars
- Departmental Committees
- Society of Physics Students
- Physics Graduate Students Council
- Undergraduate Women in Physics
- Graduate Women in Physics
- MIT Association of Postdoctoral Scholars
- Alumni & Friends
Name: Liang Fu
Title(s): Assistant Professor of Physics
Assistant: Lesley Keaney (617) 253-4878
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Area of Physics:
The search for new phases of matter has been a driving force behind condensed matter research. Among the myriad of electronic phases in solids, topological states of matter exhibit universal and quantized properties that are determined by the topology of electron wavefunctions. The understanding of topological phases often requires concepts and techniques from diverse fields of theoretical physics. Professor Fu has been interested in novel topological phases of matter and their experimental realizations. He has developed/worked on theory of topological insulators and topological superconductors, with a focus on predicting/proposing their material realizations and experimental signatures. A recent example is the theoretical prediction of topological crystalline insulators in IV-VI semiconductors, which possess unique surface states protected by crystalline symmetry. Professor Fu is currently developing theory of topological phase transitions in the presence of disorder and electron interactions. He is also interested in potential applications of topological materials, coherent optical phenomena in solids and electron fractionalization.
Liang Fu joined the MIT Physics Department as an Assistant Professor in January 2012. He obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Physics from the University of Science and Technology of China in 2004 and PhD in Physics from the University of Pennsylvania in 2009. Before coming to MIT, he was a Junior Fellow at Harvard University.
- Liang Fu, "Topological Crystalline Insulators", Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 106802 (2011).
- Liang Fu and Erez Berg, "Odd-Parity Topological Superconductors: Theory and Application to CuxBi2Se3", Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 097001 (2010).
- Liang Fu, "Electron Teleportation via Majorana Bound States in a Mesoscopic Superconductor", Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 056402 (2010).
- Liang Fu and C. L. Kane, "Superconducting Proximity Effect and Majorana Fermions at the Surface of a Topological Insulator", Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 096407 (2008).
- Liang Fu and C. L. Kane, "Topological Insulators with Inversion Symmetry", Phys. Rev. B 76, 045302 (2007).
Last updated on July 25, 2013 4:56 PM