- Faculty Directory
- Academic Staff Directory
- Administrative Staff Directory
- Pappalardo Fellows Directory
- Postdoctoral Scholars
- Departmental Committees
- Society of Physics Students
- Physics Graduate Students Council
- Undergraduate Women in Physics
- Graduate Women in Physics
- MIT Association of Postdoctoral Scholars
- Alumni & Friends
Mitsui Career Development Associate Professor of Physics
Name: Pablo Jarillo-Herrero
Title(s): Mitsui Career Development Associate Professor of Physics
Phone: (617) 253-3653
Assistant: Monica Wolf (617) 253-4829
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Area of Physics:
Professor Jarillo-Herrero's research interests lie in the area of experimental condensed matter physics, in particular quantum electronic transport and optoelectronics in novel low dimensional materials, such as graphene and topological insulators (TIs).
Pablo Jarillo-Herrero joined MIT as an assistant professor of physics in January 2008. He received his M.Sc. in physics from the University of Valencia, Spain, in 1999. Then he spent two years at the University of California in San Diego, where he received a second M.Sc. degree before going to the Delft University of Technology in The Netherlands, where he earned his Ph.D. in 2005. After a one-year postdoc in Delft, he moved to Columbia University, where he worked as a NanoResearch Initiative Fellow. His awards include the Spanish Royal Society Young Investigator Award (2007), an NSF Career Award (2008), an Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship (2009), a David and Lucile Packard Fellowship (2009), the IUPAP Young Scientist Prize in Semiconductor Physics (2010), a DOE Early Career Award (2011), a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE, 2012), and an ONR Young Investigator Award (2013).
- Thiti Taychatanapat, Kenji Watanabe, Takashi Taniguchi, Pablo Jarillo-Herrero, "Electrically tunable transverse magnetic focusing in graphene", Nature Physics, 9, 225 (2013).
- L. C. Campos, A. F. Young, K. Surakitbovorn, K. Watanabe, T. Taniguchi, P. Jarillo-Herrero, "Quantum and classical confinement of resonant states in a trilayer graphene Fabry-Perot interferometer", Nature Communications, 3, 1239 (2012).
- Javier D. Sanchez-Yamagishi, Thiti Taychatanapat, Kenji Watanabe, Takashi Taniguchi, Amir Yacoby, Pablo Jarillo-Herrero, "Quantum Hall Effect, Screening and Layer-Polarized Insulating States in Twisted Bilayer Graphene", Physical Review Letters, 108, 076601 (2012).
- N. Gabor, J. Song, Q. Ma, N. Nair, T. Taychatanapat, K. Watanabe, T. Taniguchi, L..Levitov, P. Jarillo-Herrero, "Hot Carrier Assisted Intrinsic Photoresponse in Graphene", Science, 334, 648-652 (2011).
- T. Taychatanapat, K. Watanabe, T. Taniguchi, P. Jarillo-Herrero, "Quantum Hall effect and Landau level crossing of Dirac fermions in trilayer graphene", Nature Physics, 7, 621-625 (2011).
- T. Taychatanapat and P. Jarillo-Herrero, "Electronic Transport in Dual-Gated Bilayer Graphene at Large Displacement Fields", Physical Review Letters, 105, 166601 (2010).
- H.B. Heersche, P. Jarillo-Herrero, J.B. Oostinga, L.M.K. Vandersypen and A.F. Morpurgo, "Bipolar supercurrent in graphene", Nature, 446 , 56 (2007).
- P. Jarillo-Herrero, J.A. van Dam and L.P. Kouwenhoven, "Quantum supercurrent transistors in carbon nanotubes", Nature, 439, 953 (2006).
- P. Jarillo-Herrero, J. Kong, H.S.J. van der Zant, C. Dekker, L.P. Kouwenhoven and S. De Franceschi, "Electronic transport spectroscopy of carbon nanotubes in a magnetic field", Phys. Rev. Lett., 94, 156802 (2005).
- P. Jarillo-Herrero, J. Kong, H.S.J. van der Zant, C. Dekker, L.P. Kouwenhoven and S. De Franceschi, "Orbital Kondo effect in carbon nanotubes", Nature, 434, 484 (2005).
- P. Jarillo-Herrero, S. Sapmaz, C. Dekker, L.P. Kouwenhoven and H.S.J. van der Zant, "Electron-hole symmetry in a semiconducting carbon nanotube quantum dot", Nature, 429, 389 (2004).
Last updated: 07.02.2013