- Faculty Directory
- Academic Staff Directory
- Administrative Staff Directory
- Pappalardo Fellows Directory
- Postdoctoral Scholars
- Departmental Committees
- Society of Physics Students
- Physics Graduate Students Council
- Undergraduate Women in Physics
- Graduate Women in Physics
- MIT Association of Postdoctoral Scholars
- Alumni & Friends
Lester Wolfe Professor of Physics, Emeritus
PHONE: (617) 253-6811
ASSISTANT: Joanna M. Keseberg (617) 253-6830
Area of Physics:
Atomic, Molecular and Optical:
- Experimental Atomic Physics
- Laser Spectroscopy
- High Precision Measurements
Professor Kleppner is the former Director of the National Science Foundation-funded MIT–Harvard Center for Ultracold Atoms, former Associate Director of the MIT Research Laboratory of Electronics, and a principal investigator in the Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics group.
Recent Honors & Awards
- 2007 Frederic Ives Medal of the Optical Society of America
- 2006 National Medal of Science
- 2005 Wolf Prize
- Thomas J. Greytak and Daniel Kleppner, "Bose-Einstein Condensation," McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science and Technology 2001, pg. 64-67.
- T. J. Greytak, D. Kleppner, D. G. Fried, T. C. Killian, L. Willmann, D. Landhuis, and S. C. Moss, "Bose-Einstein Condensation in Atomic Hydrogen," (2000).
- D. Kleppner, "The Yin and Yang of Hydrogen". Physics Today, April 1991, pg. 11.
- D. G. Fried, T. C. Killian, L. Willmann, D. Landhuis, S. C. Moss, D. Kleppner, and T. J. Greytak, "Bose-Einstein Condensation of Atomic Hydrogen," PRL, 81, 3811, (1998).
- T. C. Killian, D. G. Fried, L. Willmann, D. Landhuis, S. C. Moss, T. J. Greytak, and D. Kleppner, "Cold Collision Frequency Shift of the 1S-2S Transition in Hydrogen," PRL, 81, 3807, (1998).
- C. L. Cesar, D. G. Fried, T. C. Killian, A. D. Polcyn, J. C. Sandberg, I. A. Yu, T. J. Greytak, and D. Kleppner, "Two-Photon Spectroscopy of Trapped Atomic Hydrogen," PRL, 77, 255, (1996).
- T. C. Killian, D. G. Fried, C. L. Cesar, A. D. Polycn, T. J. Greytak, D. Kleppner, "Doppler-Free Spectroscopy of Trapped Atomic Hydrogen," Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Atomic Physics, (1996).
- M. J. Yoo and T. J. Greytak, "Thermal Conductivity and Accommodation Coefficient of Spin-Polarized Atomic Hydrogen Gas," Phys. Rev. B52, 7215 (1995).
- T. J. Greytak, "Prospects for Bose-Einstein Condensation in Magnetically Trapped Atomic Hydrogen" in Bose-Einstein Condensation, ed. by A. Griffin, D. W. Snoke, and S. Stringari, Cambridge University Press, NY, (1995).
- C. L. Cesar, D. G. Fried, T. C. Killian, A. D. Polcyn, J. C. Sandberg, J. M. Doyle, I. A. Yu, T. J. Greytak, and D. Kleppner, "Two-Photon Spectroscopy of Trapped Atomic Hydrogen," Proceedings of the Symposium on Frequency Standards and Metrology, Woods Hole, MA (1995).
Last updated on March 5, 2015 11:56 AM