MIT's Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
MIT: Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Guidelines: Off-Campus UROPs

If you plan to conduct MIT research away from campus, within the U.S., you need to be aware of the guidelines and requirements noted below. If your UROP work will take you overseas, please see International Research Opportunities (IROP).

Most UROP projects are conducted on-campus. However, on occasion your UROP research may take you off-campus. If your UROP will take place away from MIT, it should fall into one of the following categories:

  1. Research at an MIT-affiliated site: Several UROP research sites have a professional or educational affiliation with MIT. Examples include: Lincoln Laboratories, the Broad Institute, the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, and area hospitals connected to MIT through Health Sciences and Technology (HST) and other programs. Students receive direct supervision from MIT-affiliated UROP supervisors.
  2. UROP Fieldwork: UROP projects may require conducting a certain amount of "fieldwork," that take you off-campus, out of the state, and in some cases, out of the country. Projects that involve travel must be connected to research affiliated with MIT, and have the endorsement of an approved MIT UROP supervisor. In addition, you should receive daily supervision from an MIT affiliate associated with the project, such as a faculty member, post-doctoral associate, or staff member.

It is important to note that research positions (including internships) at facilities with no formal connection to MIT and which lack daily supervision by an MIT staff member or MIT affiliate are not eligible for UROP. Work at a corporation or other commercial entity, even under the supervision of an MIT faculty member, is also not eligible.

Work Related Safety

Links and Resources

International Students and UROP Travel

If you are an international student and a UROP has the potential to take place off-campus, you must inform the International Students Office (ISO) before accepting the UROP. For more information, visit the ISO website or email

See UROP Travel Forms for details on required paperwork