Guidelines: Wellesley College Students
Below you will find information on the guidelines Wellesley College students must follow in order to participate in a UROP.
Cross-registration and What to Do Once You've Found a UROP
- Submit your evaluation(s) from your most recent UROP.
- With your UROP faculty supervisor, choose supervisor funding, credit, or volunteer.
- Be sure that you cross-register for your UROP. Please see the Wellesley Student Applications page for complete details.
- Write a UROP proposal describing your planned research activities for the semester and submit it with your UROP application. Applications are due no later than 5PM on the given deadline date for the term.
- No approvals, timesheets, or paychecks will be issued until all paperwork has been received and approved.
- You may not receive credit and pay for the same project during the same term.
- Students must submit online applications by 5pm on the appropriate UROP deadline.
UROP for Credit
- To do a UROP for credit, you must complete the Wellesley College Cross Registration form online and your UROP application. See the Wellesley Student Applications page for complete details.
- To register for a pass/fail UROP: The subject number is Course#.UR
- To register for a graded UROP: The subject number is Course#.URG
- Graded credit is not available in Courses 6, 8, or 16, or to first-term freshmen.
- Your UROP faculty supervisor will be asked to submit your grade at the end of the term. It is his/her responsibility to return your grade to the MIT Registrar's Office.
- Wellesley students who wish to enroll in a summer UROP for credit may do so using the cross-registration system by bringing a completed cross-registration form to the Wellesley registrar's office. This process must be completed by Friday, June 24, 2016. Wellesley students cross-registered for a summer UROP are required to pay the Wellesley Summer Session tuition for a one-unit of course, and completion of cross-registration will generate a tuition bill for that course. For Summer 2016, that tuition is $2,375. Financial aid is not available.
UROP for Pay
- As a Wellesley College student, you are not eligible for direct support from UROP (known as direct funding). However, supervisor funding is allowed if your faculty supervisor agrees to fund you.
- If you plan to do a UROP for pay, you must complete the Wellesley College Cross Registration form online, and your UROP application. See the Wellesley Student Applications page for complete details.
- UROP cross-registrations for paid UROPs must be for one unit of Wellesley Paid UROP credit in your faculty supervisor's academic department. The subject number is Course#.URW.
- The minimum hourly rate is $10.00/hr. and as of June 1, 2016 the minimum hourly rate will move to $11.00/hr. The stipend is your overall expected earnings.
- Once approval is issued, you will receive an email from UROP staff that notes your next required steps for getting set up for MIT pay.
UROP as a Volunteer
- See the UROP Deadlines page for all current UROP deadlines. Applications are due to UROP staff no later than 5PM on the given deadline date. See the Wellesley Student Applications page for complete details.
- UROP cross-registrations for volunteer UROPs must be for one unit of Wellesley UROP credit in your faculty supervisor's academic department. The subject number is Course#.URW.