All UROP projects must be worthy of academic credit, regardless of whether you choose to participate for credit, pay or as a volunteer.
Credit UROP Requirements
During any given term or summer, you may not receive pay and credit for the same UROP project.
- Decide with your faculty supervisor on the proper subject number and unit total for your UROP. UROP credit units and subject numbers are determined and awarded in accordance with the policies established by your faculty supervisor's academic department.
Check the MIT Bulletin for the applicable UROP subject numbers and related policies for your faculty supervisor's academic department. You will only be able to select the applicable subject numbers from within your online Credit UROP application.
- Submit your feedback on your most recent UROP(s).
- Write a UROP proposal and submit your UROP application by the given deadline for the semester/summer.
- Register the credit with the Registrar no later than the given term's Drop Date. You will only be able to select the applicable subject numbers from within your online Credit UROP application. You must add (register) or drop UROP credit as you would a class, no later than the Drop Date for the given semester. Details follow below.
- Add the appropriate UROP subject (i.e. 6.UR or 7.URG, etc.) and number of units during pre-registration, on Registration Day, or using an Add Form.
- Add Date does not apply to UROP or to other individually planned activities like thesis and special topics. The deadline for adding (and dropping) a UROP subject is Drop Date of the given semester.
- Drop Date DOES apply to UROP. If you decide to cancel (drop) your Credit UROP project:
- Submit a Drop form before, but no later than the Drop Date for the given term
- Notify the department's UROP Coordinator that your UROP has been dropped
- Cancel your UROP application by withdrawing it via the online application, sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or visiting us in 7-104. Failure to cancel your UROP may delay approval of your subsequent UROPs.
Credit Outside Semesters
- Summer UROPs: Although summer UROP is usually done for pay, it may alternatively be done for credit. To receive credit for a project, register for the MIT Summer Session and pay the associated summer tuition. Tuition is based on the number of units earned and is charged per unit. For more information, please contact the Registrar's Office. Also, submit your UROP application well before the summer Credit UROP deadline.
- IAP UROPs: IAP does not usually stand alone as a UROP term, as these four weeks do not present enough time to become fully engaged in substantive research. If you continue fall research into IAP or begin spring research during IAP, you may get additional credit using UROP subject numbers (1.UR, 2.URG, etc.) for IAP work. If you plan to receive IAP credit, submit the usual UROP application by the IAP UROP deadline. Your faculty supervisor should contact the UROP Coordinator at the end of IAP to submit your grade. As with all IAP subjects, UROP credit must be registered by the IAP registration deadline and counts toward the 12-unit IAP credit limit. Visit the IAP website for additional IAP credit information.
Important Credit Registration Notes
- In the absence of compelling, extraordinary circumstances, the CAP will not approve petitions to late add UROP subjects. You can add UROP subjects to your registration up until Drop Date each term. UROP credit registration instructions appear in UROP guidelines each term along with the applicable registration deadlines. If you have any questions about how to register your credit or are unsure about the subject number for which you should register, please contact UROP staff immediately. A full statement of the CAP policy can be found in the Late Add section of the CAP site.
- Although it is not uncommon for UROP research to eventually become thesis work, students conducting research when they are registered for thesis credit may not earn UROP pay or credit for that research during the same term. Any questions regarding thesis credit policies should be directed to the academic department awarding your credit.
- Special restrictions apply to international students. During the fall and spring, international students may not work in excess of 20 hours per week. During IAP and the summer months (June, July, and August), International Students may work standard full-time hours. Before accepting a UROP position, international students should check in with the International Students Office (ISO) to ensure that the terms of their UROP positions do not conflict with ISO regulations.