Options: UROP Direct Funding
MIT and CME students may request UROP Direct Funding, when financial support from faculty is unavailable. The Direct Funding process is competitive—heeding the application deadline is crucial for full consideration.
- Before you undertake a UROP for Pay and begin work, be sure to review the information on GETTING HIRED AND PAID BY MIT provided on the Student Financial Services website. You must confirm your eligibility and complete an I-9 form with SFS staff before you start your UROP.
- You may request funding up to $1,410 for an academic term and $4,800 for a summer, both paid at $10.00 per hour. These amounts are current for the 2013-14 academic year and may be subject to change.
- Funding requests may be for hourly pay, materials and services (including UROP-related travel), or a combination thereof.
- Materials funding requests may include: lab supplies or other items used solely for your research, conference fees, and/or UROP-related travel expenses for those conducting research off-campus or abroad.
When requesting materials funding, be sure to include details about your request in both your research proposal and in the Materials and Services section of your UROP Direct Funding application.
See Awards and Funds for details on the funds available through UROP direct funding.
- Clear and convincing proposal. It should contain a description of the area under study, your role, and the amount of time you expect to devote to the project.
- Responsible UROP track record. All evaluations of previous UROPs, both from you and your faculty supervisor, should be on file. Missing evaluations will delay the processing of your UROP proposal.
- Evidence of faculty enthusiasm. We look for supervisors' willingness to commit time and financial support.
- Departmental UROP Coordinator support. We count on backing from our liaison to your faculty supervisor's department. Talk with your department's Coordinator and enlist his/her advice and support in preparing your funding request.
- First time? Special consideration may be given to students requesting direct funding for the first time in the fall or spring semesters, and to students working with new faculty.
- Available funds. We do our best to give everyone a fair chance at UROP direct funding, but we are limited by the funds available at any given time.
- Allow approximately 2 weeks after the submission deadline for UROP staff to process your request.
- Missing information will be flagged in your online application, so check your application status at any time by visiting your UROP student homepage. You will also receive email from UROP staff detailing incomplete items (i.e. missing feedback on previous UROP work, proposal lacking sufficient detail, etc.).
- Call UROP staff at 617-253-7306 or send an email to email@example.com with any questions related to the status of your proposal.
If your request is approved:
- Be sure that you completed your I-9 form with staff in Student Financial Services, if you did not do so previously.
- You must visit the department UROP payroll coordinator listed in your approval email, ASAP so that your UROP can be activated in the payroll system.
- Refer to your approval email for additional pertinent information regarding submission of weekly timesheets and payments.
If your request is not approved:
- Your application will be returned and you will be informed of your remaining options for the term (e.g. switching to faculty pay, credit or researching as a volunteer).