Simultaneous Bachelor's and Master's Degrees

An undergraduate student of the Institute who is enrolled as a candidate for the bachelor's degree and wishes to pursue simultaneous bachelor's and master's degrees must successfully apply through MIT Graduate Admissions in the appropriate department. Students considering doing this who receive financial aid should contact Student Financial Services (SFS).

Advancing Class Year

With the approval of his or her faculty advisor, a student may follow a program leading to an SB degree in fewer than eight terms (provided freshman, IAP, and CAP-imposed credit limits are observed).  The advisor may write the Registrar's Office, requesting a year change. The advisor should also inform the departmental undergraduate office.

After one semester freshmen may advance class year only if they are offered early sophomore status by the Director of the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming. To be eligible for early sophomore status, a student must have completed by the end of the first term 25% of the undergraduate program, including a majority of the Science Requirement and an appropriate Communication Intensive subject (either a CI-H or CI-HW).

In some departments, a change in year classification may result in a change of advisor assignment. If a student wishes to keep his or her present advisor after a change in year is made, he or she should check with the department undergraduate office to see if this is possible.

A student considering a change in class year should also check its effect on his or her eligibility for financial aid and special programs. A change in class year does not affect a student's ability to remain in on-campus housing for eight terms, but it may affect his or her rooming priority in a given residence hall.

If a student spends only one semester as a sophomore and advances to junior standing, he or she does not have a second semester in which to designate an Exploratory subject.

Changing Departments

An upperclass student may change departments at any time. Discussions with the faculty advisor and with faculty or administrators in the prospective department are helpful when considering such a decision. The Registrar's Office provides information on how to change a major and how the Institute audit would be affected by the change.

Transfer Students

Full information for entering transfer students is provided on the Transfer Student website maintained by the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming.

Substitutions for Requirements

In requesting substitutions for requirements, students should remember that subjects taken to satisfy GIR, departmental, and minor requirements cannot be graded on a P/D/F basis, except for subjects taken by freshmen under Pass/No Record grading. Note: Subjects taken through cross-registration at the Massachusetts College of Art and Design cannot be used for substitutions as grades for these subjects are recorded at MIT on a P/D/F basis.

General Institute Requirements (GIRs)

To request substitutions for General Institute Requirements, students must petition the appropriate faculty committee. It is strongly recommended that such requests be submitted far in advance of the term in which graduation is anticipated. Petitions are not automatically approved by these committees, and denial of a petition submitted during a student's last term may jeopardize graduation.

The Committee on Curricula (COC) reviews petitions for substitutions for the Institute Laboratory and REST subjects. Information about these petitions can be found on the Registrar’s website.

The Subcommittee on the Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences Requirement (SHR) reviews petitions for substitutions within the HASS Requirement. Transfer credit may not be used for the Distribution Component of the Requirement. Information about these petitions can be found on the HASS Requirement website.

Petitions regarding the Communication Requirement are reviewed by the Subcommittee on the Communication Requirement (SOCR). Information about these petitions can be found on the Communication Requirement website.

Departmental Requirements

If a student wishes to make a substitution for a departmental requirement, such a request should be made through the department concerned. Since procedures vary, the student should contact his or her advisor, or the department's undergraduate office. A student who wishes to substitute a UROP or other research subject for a departmental requirement must submit a letter of intent to that department. The department makes the decision concerning a substitution.

Transfer of Credit for Work Done at Another College

A registered regular student who wishes to receive credit for work done at another college must obtain approval from the transfer credit examiner of the appropriate MIT department. A student who plans to register for a subject at another college (for instance, during the summer) should consult the appropriate MIT transfer credit examiner in advance to determine whether the subject is suitable for transfer credit. For transfer credit for GIR subjects, please see procedures listed above. Transfer credit is processed through the Registrar's Office following review by the appropriate faculty committee when required.

Students who study for a year at Cambridge University as part of the Cambridge-MIT Exchange program (CME) should plan their program of study in advance with their MIT departmental exchange coordinators. The Global Education Office at MIT works with departments and the Registrar’s Office to expedite the transfer credit process for CME students.

Entering freshmen who seek MIT credit for study at other colleges or universities must also obtain approval of that credit from the transfer credit examiner of the appropriate MIT department and provide the documentation described on the First-Year website. Any course not documented by an official college/university transcript will not be accepted for Institute credit. This includes courses listed on a high school transcript, even if they were taken in a college. This credit is processed for freshmen through the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming (UAAP).


As required under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Student Disabilities Services (SDS) makes reasonable efforts to provide appropriate accommodations and assistance to undergraduate and graduate students with disabilities. Students with disabilities should discuss their needs for reasonable accommodations with the Student Disabilities Services staff.

Undergraduate Student Costs

Information on tuition, fees, removal of services and notifications to students with unpaid balances can be found in the MIT Course Catalog.

CAP Policy on Financial Holds

The Committee on Academic Performance will entertain a petition from a student formerly on financial hold for late registration or retroactive awarding of credit only with the recommendation of a majority of a committee made up of the Director of Financial Aid, the Registrar, and the Director of Student Support Services, or their delegates.