Minor Programs

The minors are cohesive programs providing significant experience in their disciplines. The general guidelines for an undergraduate minor are found on the Registrar's web site. Detailed information on minor programs in Architecture, Engineering, HASS, Management, and Science fields appears in the MIT Bulletin. Completion forms for minors in Architecture, Engineering, HASS, Management, or Science should be submitted no later than the end of the third week of the student's final term. The completion form must be filed even if the student is taking subjects to complete the minor in the final term. Students who file the form late will not only be subject to a late fee but also risk not being awarded the minor.

Undergraduate Research, Internships and Independent Study

Many students augment their scheduled classes with individually planned academic activities. These activities include undergraduate research, special projects, internships, fieldwork, and co-op programs. Specific registration details and other relevant information are available from the appropriate office.

To propose an Independent Study within an academic field:

1. Pick a topic area and outline a brief study proposal.

2. Speak with professors in your area of interest about being your supervisor. If you cannot find a professor or do not know of any, contact the department's Academic Administrator or look at the academic department's faculty listings to find a professor with similar interests.

3. Once you have obtained a supervisor for your project, you must agree with him/her how your work will be graded (P/D/F or letter grade) and how many units you will earn.

4. Register for credit using an appropriate departmental subject number for independent study.


Full-time MIT students may cross-register during the fall and spring terms for subjects at Harvard University, Wellesley College, or the Massachusetts College of Art and Design with no additional tuition fees. Cross-registration instructions are published on the Registrar’s Office website.

Study Abroad and Domestic Study Away

Undergraduate students who wish to spend a year, a term (including IAP) or a summer abroad or away at another US College have many options, including MIT-managed programs. Global Education (part of Global Education and Career Development or GECD) provides support and guidance for students preparing to study domestically or internationally. MIT-managed and external study abroad programs are listed on Global Education’s Study Abroad website. A student planning to participate in one of these programs in his or her senior year should, prior to leaving the Institute, consult the Registrar's Office about his or her audit for graduation.

Distinguished Fellowships, which is also part of Global Education, guides students through the application process for a number of prestigious awards for foreign study, including but not limited to the Rhodes, Marshall, Mitchell, Gates, and Fulbright.

Global Experiences

In addition to study abroad, there are many global opportunities available to MIT students. Please visit Global Education’s Go Global website for additional information.