All personal and medical leaves are processed by Student Support Services (S3). Please visit their website for more information about Leaves, and also see How to Apply for Return after a Leave

Finishing Current Term on Reduced Load

For a variety of reasons, rather than taking a leave, a student may choose to remain at MIT and finish the semester on a reduced load. The Registrar's Office defines a reduced load as a registration load of less than full-time (36 units). This should be arranged by the student, with the concurrence of the academic advisor and a dean in Student Support Services (S3). Subjects that cannot be completed during the term should be dropped by Drop Date. Late drops require a petition to the Committee on Academic Performance (CAP). Students should consult the student financial aid staff in Student Financial Services, 11-120, about possible adjustments in financial aid. International students are required by immigration regulations to be registered full-time when school is in session in order to maintain legal status in the United States. Students should check with the International Students Office if they have any questions.

Community Involvement While on Leave

Students on leave remain part of the MIT community. They may stay in contact with (including visiting) individuals on campus, such as their advisors and other Faculty, staff of academic departments, S3 deans, housemasters, friends, and alumni. As a general matter, MIT students on leave may participate in MIT activities that are open to the public. Finally, MIT students on leave may continue to use their mit.edu email address. However, certain resources at the Institute are available only to registered students. Among the resources available only to registered students are living in MIT owned or affiliated housing (including FSILGs), attending classes, participating in the UROP program, accessing Athena and MIT licensed software, and using an MIT ID Card.

Return to MIT

As the Faculty Rules and Regulations state (section 1.73.5), "the Committee on Academic Performance (CAP) shall act with power on applications for return at the undergraduate level after a voluntary, medical, or required academic leave, or a leave of absence." The deans in Student Support Services coordinate many facets of the return process on behalf of the CAP. Students who have been away from MIT for the requisite amount of time on a voluntary, medical, or required academic leave are eligible to request to return. The return process has been designed to verify that students are ready for a successful re-entry to MIT. Please visit the Student Support Services (S3) website for more information about returning.

Returning to MIT After an Extended Absence

As stated in the Rules and Regulations of the Faculty in section 2.84, “A student who does not graduate within ten years of first entry will normally be expected to fulfill the requirements of the class with which he or she graduates." However, subjects previously taken to satisfy the General Institute or Departmental Requirements may be counted toward current requirements with the permission of the organizations and offices that administer those requirements. A student who will not graduate within ten years of his or her original date of entry should contact Student Support Services and consult with a dean about application for returning. If appropriate, Student Support Services will make a referral to the Committee on Curricula (CoC) for a full academic review to determine the student’s status with respect to the General Institute Requirements (GIRs). Please visit the Student Support Services (S3) website for more information about returning.