Petition Process: Preparing Your Petition
Once you've downloaded the appropriate petition form (or picked up a printed copy in room 5-104), follow these steps to prepare your petition:
- Fill in appropriate blanks to identify yourselt, the subject involved, your advisor, and your instructor. Sign and date the petition.
- Explain your request in the space provided or on an attached sheet. Your statement should not exceed one page. See Statement Guidelines for advice on preparing your statement.
- Bring the petition form to your academic advisor, instructor, and other Institute personnel as needed. Your advisor and instructor must each write a brief statement covering the questions asked; a signature alone is not enough. Alternatively, they may email their statements to firstname.lastname@example.org. In that case, they do not need to sign the printed form. See Statement Guidelines for detailed advice on this process.
- Make two copies of the original petition, one for yourself and one for your academic advisor. Give your advisor his or her copy.
- Submit the original petition, complete with signatures and supporting materials, to the CAP Staff Associate in Room 5-104. The Submission Deadlines page tells you when to expect a decision.
If you are off-campus but still registered (for example, during IAP or Spring Break) you may submit a petition by fax or postal mail in order to meet a deadline. See contact information below.
- See Committee Review for the next steps in the process.
Note that this process is for undergraduates only; graduate students should follow the petition process outlined on the website of the Office of the Dean for Graduate Education.