Subject: Care of Green Iguanas (part 2 of 2)

From: [email-masked] (Dave Rotheroe)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1992 16:50:05 GMT

I recently was given a (bad quality) copy of two articles.  The first is
"Care of Green Iguanas" the second is "Care of Snakes".  I would have
preferred to ask the author's permission, but I've been unable to contact
them, so couldn't ask for permission to post them.  I'm hoping what they
were wanting was the dissemination of this information, and not to make a
buck (there is no copyright on the articles).  The articles to contain good
material, especially for the beginner.  I've scanned the "Care of Iguanas"
article, and fixed most of the character recognition and format problems.
Comments in brackets are mine, all other text is from the article.  Here is
the second half, the first half was posted a few days ago.  Part one contains
general information on keeping common green iguanas.  Part two contains
information on diseases / injuries / infections.  The "Care of Snakes"
article may or may not get scanned (it's 3X in size (not 4X)) - send me mail.

Dave Rotheroe                  [email-masked]		    DoD#0045
CONVEX Computer Corporation
Richardson (Dallas), TX 75083-3851
(214) 497-4512

A day without sunshine is like...   night

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Care of Green Iguanas (part 2 of 2)

Diseases Requiring Veterinary Attention

Metabolic Bone Disease (Fibrous Osteodystrophy)

The most common disease of captive iguanas results from gross malnutrition.
Most new iguana owners are not given proper dietary information when they
buy their iguana.  In fact, many are given incorrect information.  The most
common mistake is feeding lettuce (usually iceberg lettuce) to the exclusion
of other important dietary items (see the section on Diet).  Lettuce
provides adequate amounts of moisture but is a nutritionally barren food
otherwise.  The problem is often aggravated by vitamin D3 and calcium
deficiencies, which result from inadequate exposure to direct sunlight or
artificial ultraviolet light and lack of vitamin-mineral supplementation.

Signs of fibrous osteodystrophy include general listlessness, an enlarged,
swollen lower jaw, difficulty in eating, and markedly firm, swollen limbs
and tail.  Unfortunately these desperately ill iguanas appear well-fed and
chubby, and veterinary care is not often sought until it is too late.
Sometimes the back, tail or legs are fractured or deformed.  These problems
usually receive more immediate veterinary attention.

Iguanas with metabolic bone disease should be treated by a competent reptile
veterinarian.  If the patient refuses all food offered except lettuce, the
lettuce must be top dressed with a suitable vitamin-mineral powder.

Iguanas that have become "lettuce junkies" (consume lettuce to the exclusion
of other foods) must be encouraged to accept and feed on more nutritionally
complete food items.  Some iguanas accept items that resemble lettuce, such
as spinach and beet greens, and then may be more accepting of other foods
offered.  Another way to wean an iguana from lettuce involves sprinkling the
more nutritious items (cut up in small pieces) over the preferred lettuce
leaves.  Usually the iguana will feed on both simultaneously.  With each
feeding, the proportion of nutritionally superior food items should be
increased and the amount of lettuce decreased until the iguana has fully
accepted a more nutritious variety of food.  After 2 weeks, a
vitamin-mineral powder can be sprinkled over the food to ensure nutritional
adequacy.  If such a product is used during the transition period, it may
cause the iguana to refuse all food, including the lettuce.  This would be
undesirable.

Paralysis of the Rear Legs

A disease resulting from vitamin B1 deficiency causes paralysis of the rear
legs and tail.  This problem is treated with injectable B vitamins and
dietary improvement, including vitamin-mineral supplementation Rear limb
paralysis may also result from mineral (especially calcium) deficiencies
that cause fibrous osteodystrophy of the spinal column.  Injectable calcium
is also necessary in the therapy of this problem.

Nose Abrasions

One of the unfortunate consequences of captivity is injury resulting from
repeated attempts to escape.  Iguanas tend to push and rub their noses
against the walls of their enclosures as they repeatedly pace back and
forth.  This constant trauma results in chronic ulceration of the nose
(rostrum), whether the walls of the enclosure are made of glass or wire
mesh.  Nose injuries may result in serious and often permanent deformities
that may cause long-term problems.

Preventing this problem is difficult, but providing adequate visual security
(hiding places) and other additions to the enclosure (artificial plants,
branches, rocks) helps to minimize it.  A visual barrier of dark paint or
plastic film placed on or along the lower four inches of the enclosure's
walls often inhibits pacing and rubbing.

Thermal Injuries

Serious burns often result when iguanas contact unprotected heat sources
within their enclosures Exposed light bulbs and heat lamps are most often
responsible for these accidents.  Neither of these appliances is actually
necessary.  If they are installed in an iguana's enclosure, they must be
outfitted with a protective device to prevent burns.

Bacterial Infections

Blister Disease:  Chronic exposure to bacterial contamination from poor
sanitation and hygiene is the most common cause of bacterial infections in
captive iguanas.  Blister disease results when an iguana is confined to a
moist, filthy enclosure.  The disease is characterized by blisters,
especially on the underside aspects of the body, that develop into seriously
infected wounds.  Aggressive antibiotic therary is necessary to successfully
treat affected iguanas.

Dry Gangrene of the Tail or Toes:  Another sign of serious, body-wide
bacterial infection is dry gangrene of the tail and often the toes.  The dry
gangrene usually moves up the tail from its tip.  One or more toes may have
the same type of progressive problem simultaneously.  The disease can be
controlled with aggressive antibiotic therapy, strict hygiene and good
husbandry.

Mouth Rot:  Bacterial infection of the mouth is often the result of
malnutrition and a debilitated, weakened condition.  Signs of mouth rot
include swelling, inflammation and accumulations of pus within the mouth,
increased salivation, and difficulties in breathing.  Treatment involves
identifying the offending bacteria and giving appropriate antibiotic
therapy.  Providing vitamins, fluids and forced feeding are also essential.

Abscesses:  Bacterial infections may settle in one or more areas and result
in abscess formation.  Reptile pus is not liquid but is of a cheesy,
sometimes rubber-like consistency.  Consequently, treatment of abscesses by
a veterinarian involves opening up the pus-filled abscess and manually
cleaning it out.  Antibiotics are then infused directly into the cavity and
also given by injection.

Bacterial infections of reptiles require injectable antibiotics to eliminate
the bacteria from the body as rapidly as possible.  When therary is delayed
or insufficient, bacteria multiply and spread throughout the body, usually
resulting in internal abscesses.  Antibiotic therapy then is much less
successful.  Initial and periodic white blood cell counts are necessary to
properly monitor the progress of the patient and to detect any relapse.

Parasite Problems:  Parasites may be found externally (mites), within the
gastrointestinal tract (worms, protozoa), and within the blood (malaria-type
parasites) of captive iguanas.  Parasites reresent a significant burden in
addition to the inevitable stresses of captivity endured by all pet iguanas,
and should be treated by a veterinarian specializing in reptiles.  Iguanas
weakened by malnutrition and chronic bacterial infections are particularly
susceptible to the detrimental effects of parasites.

Viral Infections:  Though viruses probably cause disease in iguanas, only a
few have been specifically identified in this capacity.  With continued
interest and research in iguanas, our understanding of viral infections will
be enhanced.

Organ Failure:  Failure of vital organs often accompanies advancing age, and
may also be a consequence of gout and severe bacterial infections.  If
possible, blood samples should be collected to allow evaluation of vital
organ function.  Treatment by a veterinarian is usually guided by the
results of diagnostic testing.

Bladder Stones:  Minerals in the urine may precipitate and form stones
within the urinary bladder of iguanas.  The iguana may exhibit no signs of
illness or may strain during urination and act listless.  If the stone
becomes very large, the abdomen may become enlarged.  The droppings may also
contain blood.  A radiograph (x-ray) is necessary to confirm the diagnosis
Abdominal surgery is necessary to remove the stone.

Egg Binding:  Egg-binding can be a life-threatening condition.  It results
when a pregnant female cannot expel one or more eggs from the reproductive
tract.  Causes of egg-binding include malnutrition (especially mineral
imbalances), various diseases, mummification of eggs, and large or malformed
eggs.  Physical examination and radiographs (x-rays) are necessary to
diagnose this problem.  The veterinarian may select a medical and/or
surgical approach to relieve this serious condition, depending upon
circumstances.

Swollen Jaw:  See Fibrous Osteodystrophy.

Broken Tail:  Though iguanas do not shed their tails like some other lizard
species, tail fractures, dislocations and other serious injuries may occur.
Care must be taken to firmly restrain the tail when an iguana is picked up
and held.  A veterinarian can treat soft tissue injuries according to their
severity, and can "set" and splint the fractured tail if necessary.

Broken Toes:  An iguana's toes are very vulnerable to injury, especially
when iguanas are housed in screened or wire enclosures.  It is very easy for
toes and/or toenails to become entrapped within the wire mesh, resulting in
fractures, dislocations, torn nails (with subsequent bleeding, and injuries
to the skin and scales of the toes.  These injuries often occur during
attempts to remove a panicked iguana from its enclosure.  Great care should
be taken when overcoming the animal's grip on the wire mesh.  Twisting of
the iguana's body against this steadfast grip often causes serious injuries
to the feet and toes.  A veterinarian should be consulted at once if such
injuries occur.

A Comment Regarding Sharp Claws

Iguanas are usually quite docile and enjoy handling.  You, however, may not
always enjoy the activity because of the scratches inflicted by sharp claws,
powered by very strong limbs.  An iguana's claws should be periodically
dulled by an experienced veterinarian or veterinary technician.  A cautery
instrument or high-speed grinding tool is usually employed for this task.

Veterinary Examination

A thorough initial examination is the cornerstone of a health care program
for the pet iguana.  All newly acquired iguanas, regardless of age, should
be thoroughly examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible.  Besides a
complete physical examination, a blood work-up and stool examination should
be included.  The advantage of this thorough initial work-up is that current
and potential medical problems can be identified and treated before they
become serious.

For More Information

A wealth of additional useful information may be obtained by joining the
herpetological organizations listed below.  All of these groups publish
newsletters or bulletins on matters relating to reptiles and amphibians.

[ NOTE: I have no idea how old this list is - Dave ]

American Federation of Herpetoculturists
P.O.  Box 1131
Lakeside, CA 92040
A.F.H.  publication: The Vivarium

Arizona Herpetological Association
1433 W.  Huntington Drive
Tempe, AZ 85282

Chicago Herpetological Society
2001 North Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614

Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles
(SSAR)
Douglas H.  Taylor, Publications Secretary
Department of Zoology
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

Southern California Snake Association
P.O.  Box 2932
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Al Hutson (213) 428-1827

Southwestern Herpetologists Society
Inland Empire Branch
San Bernardino County Museum
2024 Orange Tree Lane
Redlands, CA 92373

Authors

Richard W.  Woerpel, MS, DVM

Walter J.  Rosskopf, Jr, DVM

Avian and Exotic Animal Hospitals of Los Angeles and Orange Counties