The Visiting Committees will meet at a location to be announced, where a full cooked breakfast will be served at 8:05. Beginning at 8:15 we will review the materials and plans for the day. There will be one morning and one afternoon review. Between the reviews, at 12:00, we will meet back at our base for lunch. After each review the committees will produce the first draft of their report.
Prior to the day of the ReviewThe Accreditation Coordinator will distribute copies of the Basic Data Form to each member of the committee as soon as they are returned by the organizations. Copies of the previous BDF and reports as well as IAP class attendance will be supplied where available. The chair of each committee will contact the FSILG Office and the Building Safety Facilitator to get an update on any known issues:
- Outstanding or recent judicial or other discipline problems
- Overall Impression
- Recruiting ability
- GPA trends
- Weaknesses and other concerns
- Safety concerns
- Maintenance Issues
- Inspection and licensing issues.
On the day of the ReviewEach committee will choose a lead scribe for each FSILG visited. A blank form to assist members of the review team in taking notes and preparing the group response is provided in PDF, TXT, and DOC format. After each visit, the committees will meet and share and compare notes and produce a preliminary report before proceeding to their second visit or adjourning.
Within at most 7-10 days after the ReviewThe remaining steps for the Visiting Committee are:
- The lead scribe for each FSILG is responsible for completing the report and obtaining agreement as to content, style, and grammar from the other visitors within two weeks after the date of the visit. Please consult the style guide (online here) when writing your report. The lead scribe shall set reasonable deadlines for the other team members to respond with comments on drafts, and will consider lack of response to indicate assent, in order to insure that the process proceeds without delay.
- The Visiting Committee's report shall return one of the following
- Recommend Accreditation
- Recommend Accreditation with reservations
- Not Recommended for Accreditation
- The scribe or the visiting committee chairman (as agreed between the scribe and chairman) sends the report to the FSILG officers and the Accreditation Coordinator. The report is to be sent attached to an email message composed substantially from the sample text provided online here. While you do not need to use exactly this text, please be careful to correctly state our privacy policies (online here) as they apply to the specific recommendation from your team.
- The work of the Visiting Committee is complete as soon as it has sent its report to the FSILG. The cover letter will have informed the FSILG that comments are to be sent to the Accreditation Coordinator within five business days and will have provided further information to the FSILG about the rest of the process. Please do not call your report a draft! Only in the case of a serious factual error will it be necessary for the Visiting Committee to revise its report in response to comments returned by the FSILG.
- The Accreditation Coordinator receives comments, if any, from the FSILG alumni organization which are included with the report when it is forwarded to the Dean's office and retained as part of the annual full report as well as provided to the reviewers during the next cycle.
- The Accreditation Coordinator removes any private comments for the organization from the report, but retains these comments for ten years in the archives. These comments will not be shared with MIT. However, in the case of a finding of "Recommend Accreditation with Reservations" or "Not Recommended for Accreditation" the private comments will also be communicated to the AILG board and the next visiting committee (not via email).
- In the case of "Recommend Accreditation", the coordinator sends the report directly to the Office of the Dean of Student Life and to the AILG board.
- In the case of "Recommend Accreditation with Reservations" or "Not Recommended for Accreditation" the Accreditation Coordinator presents the report to the AILG board for review at the next monthly meeting, prior to sending the report to the Office of the Dean.
- If a recommendation "with reservations" is returned,
- the recommendation shall state that the organization will be reviewed again in six months.
- The next visiting team, in developing its recommendation, shall consider all aspects of the FSILG's operation (i.e. the revisit shall be a full review), and with respect to the reservations listed from the previous visit, how much progress was made since the previous review. In the event of little or no progress, the recommendation must be "Not Recommended for Accreditation."
- If there is progress but there are still reservations, the visiting committee may return a finding of "Recommend Accreditation with Reservations" and may also recommend specific intervention.
- However, at the six month period, prior to sending a Visiting Committee, the Accreditation Committee in conjunction with the FSILG office and the FSILG itself may determine that there is enough information available to know that a visit would not yet be productive but that the lack of progress and the reservations are not serious enough to change the recommendation to "Not Recommended for Accreditation".
- If an FSILG is "Not Recommended for Accreditation",
- the recommendation shall state that the organization will be reviewed again in six months, however,
- once the Institute starts an intervention, the revisit may be postponed in consultation with the Institute.
- The Accreditation Committee will remain in contact with the Institute with the intention to return at the earliest practical date.
|Assignments for 25 Feb|
|Assignments for 18 Mar|
|Eric Cigan||Hauke Kite-Powell||Sara Wilmer|
|Akil Middleton||Jim Wagner||Arianna Smith|
|Kevin Moore||Bob Ferrara||Stan Wulf|
|Assignments for 29 Apr|
|Patrick McCabe||Alice Leung|
|David Lawrence||Steve Carhart|
|Alexander Stone||Stan Wulf|
Volunteer PoolThe AILG Volunteers below, if data appears under Availability/Assignments, have responded. Thank you.
|25 Feb||18 Mar||29 Apr|
|Bryan Owens Bryson||ΖΒΤ||'07||--||--||--|
|Steve Carhart||ΦΒΕ||'70||29 Apr|
|Eric Cigan||ΛΧΑ||'83||18 Mar|
|Emily Cunningham||ΦΣΣ||Iona '11||29 Apr|
|Mike Feinstein||ΒΘΠ||'82||25 Feb||--||--|
|Bob Ferrara||ΘΧ||'67||18 Mar|
|Aimee Forsythe||ΚΑΘ||Hanover '92||25 Feb||18 Mar|
|Pam Gannon||ΑΦ||'84||25 Feb||--||--|
|Hauke Kite-Powell||ΦΔΘ||'84||18 Mar|
|Jim Latimer||ΣΑΕ||'63||25 Feb|
|David Lawrence||ΤΕΦ||'14||29 Apr|
|Alice Leung||ΕΘ||'93||29 Apr|
|Herman Marshall||ΒΘΠ||'78||25 Feb|
|Patrick McCabe||ΘΤ||'80||29 Apr|
|Akil Middleton||ΖΨ||'08||--||18 Mar||--|
|Kevin Moore||ΘΤ||'92||--||18 Mar||--|
|Liz Oltman||ΑΦ||RPI '94||--||--||--|
|Mary Linton Peters||ΚΑΘ||'92||--||--||--|
|Alex Pina||ΔΤΔ||'09||--||18 Mar||--|
|Roy Russell||ΦΒΕ||'79||18 Mar||29 Apr|
|Arianna Smith||Fenway||'11||18 Mar||29 Apr|
|Dan Smythe||ΣΑΕ||'62||25 Feb|
|Alexander Stone||ΒΘΠ||StLawr '11||29 Apr|
|Cecilia Stuopis||ΑΧΩ||'90||25 Feb|
|Jim Wagner||ΘΔΧ||'04||18 Mar|
|Sara Wilmer||ΣΚ||'03||18 Mar|
|Emily Wood||ΠΒΦ||Villanova '05|
|Stan Wulf||ΦΔΘ||'65||25 Feb||18 Mar||29 Apr|
|Yumi Yasutake||ΚΑΘ||JHop '00||--||--||--|
"--": Not Available on date, "blank": Unknown on date
Name in italics: New Volunteer - Welcome!