From the ASA Recognition Procedures, Article V:
Section 1: Applicability
Re-recognition is applicable in four situations:
- A group is still officially recognized, yet has gone informally inactive, and a new set of people want to restart the group.
- A group that was derecognized in the current school year or last six months, whichever covers a longer period.
- A group that was derecognized beyond the windows in the previous item.
- A group that has been suspended by the Board.
Groups in the third category should apply as if they were a completely new activity. Suspended groups should follow the provisions set forth by the Board at the time of their suspension.
Groups in the earlier categories should follow the procedures outlined in the next section.
Section 2: Re-recognition Procedure
A group of people that want to restart a group as described items 1 and 2 (but not 3 and 4: see above for those) in the previous sections shall contact the Board with the following information:
- An email to email@example.com stating that you would like to re-recognize your student group. Subject Line: [Re-Recognition] *Group Name*.
- Submission of a new group activity application with the same group name as the one that was derecognized.
- A new group activity application that is complete and detailed, regarding the re-recognition of the group.
The Board may request additional information or a meeting with group representatives. Additionally, in the case of inactive groups, the Board shall attempt to get in contact with the existing group's officers list, listed officers, and/or known past officers or member or otherwise attempt to confirm the group's inactivity.
Then the Board shall consider the request at the end of the next group recognition cycle and inactivity has been investigated when applicable. A majority vote of the Board can decide to allow the requesting set of people to restart the activity. This decision can also change the classification of an activity group (i.e. a Funded Student Group may be restarted as a Student Group).
Specifically for 2016, we will begin reviewing groups after September 30th, 2016 at 11:59PM. This is the end of the Fall recognition cycle, and we will be prioritizing groups that are applying for re-recognition for anti-hazing and membership confirmation cases.