This is merely a suggested format for a constitution. It contains all of the elements required by the ASA. You should tailor the constitution to your group’s own needs. Be sure to maintain consistency with the Constitution Requirements.
The Constitution of [Group Name]
Article I: Purpose
The purpose of the [Group Name] is...
Article II: Membership
- Any member of the MIT community is eligible to become a member of this organization. One is considered a member of this organization in any given academic term if she has attended at least one club activity and one meeting in the preceding or current term.
- The organization’s membership will at all times consist of at least 5 MIT students and be more than half MIT students.
- This organization will not discriminate based on any characteristic listed in MIT's Nondiscrimination Statement.
- If this organization charges any monetary dues, there will be exceptions made for students that cannot afford these dues.
Article III: Officers
- This organization will have at a minimum two officers:
- The president shall be the official representative of the group to any other organization and to MIT.
- The president will preside over all meetings.
- The president is responsible for determining when meetings are and publicizing this to the group.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the group.
- The treasurer must approve all disbursements from the group’s accounts, including reimbursements to members.
- All officers of this organization must be distinct current MIT students.
- Elections of officers shall occur [when].
- Any member of this organization is eligible to run for any office.
- Quorum for elections is two-thirds of the group.
- Any member is elected if he or she wins a majority of the voting members.
- If more than two people are running and no one wins a majority, then the person with the fewest votes is dropped from the ballot and votes are recast.
- The term of office runs from one election to the subsequent election.
- Removal: Officers may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the members.
Article IV: Meetings
- Meetings shall be held at least every [time period].
- Meetings shall be presided over by the president, unless she is absent, and in that case the treasurer shall preside.
- All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members present.
- Quorum for a meeting shall be one-quarter of the members of the organization.
Article V: Amendments
- Amendments shall be presented by any member of the organization.
- Amendments shall be passed by a two-thirds voted of the members present.
- Quorum for amending this constitution shall be two-thirds of all members of the organization.
Article VI: ASA Governance Clause
The [Group Name] agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association of Student Activities, and its executive board. This constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this organization shall be subject to review by the ASA Executive Board to ensure that they are in accordance with the aforementioned rules and regulations.