Applying to Graduate School
Welcome to the MIT Biological Engineering Graduate Admissions page. This page explains the application process in general. To apply, go to the online application. You will be asked to create a user id and password. Please write down your user id and password for future use. You do not need to complete the entire application in one sitting. You may begin the application, save it, and return to it at a later time using your user id and password.
MIT's Department of Biological Engineering offers a graduate PhD or ScD degree program. MIT admits students for the fall term each year; there is no January or June admission.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as early as possible and are responsible for ensuring that all admissions credentials are submitted on time. Your application will not be reviewed until all materials have been received. There is no separate application for financial support; all admitted students are offered support.
To apply follow these steps.
1. Fill out the online application by 23:59, EST, December 15.
You will be providing the following information:
- Field(s) of interest
- Personal information/addresses
- International student data
- Three or more names and e-mail addresses of letter writers:
We recommend that before November 15 you notify your letter writers that you will be requesting evaluations from them. This will give them time to prepare and submit their letters by December 15. Once you have submitted your on-line application, instructions to your letter writers will be generated for you. You are responsible for making sure that your letter writers have copies of these instructions.
- Scanned copies of your College Transcripts
- Scanned copies of your GRE Scores
- For international students, scanned copies of your IELTS scores
- Educational and work history
- Statement of objectives
- Outside financial support and potential outside support
- Credit card payment of $75
2. Arrange for submission of the following (official reports only):
Scanned PDF transcripts and GRE, and IELTS scores are considered unofficial documents but are sufficient for review purposes. Official documents are required before an admissions decision can be made. Please have your test scores electronically transmitted to MIT Admissions and mail official copies of your transcript(s) to:
- College transcripts - Mail official transcripts to:
MIT Department of Biological Engineering
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Bldg. 16-267
Cambridge, MA 02139
- GRE general scores: Electronic submission - MIT's school code for the GRE is 3514. The code for the Department of Biological Engineering at MIT is 1603.
- For international students, IELTS: scores should also be electronically sent directly to MIT.
- To register for a test, visit http://www.ielts.org
IELTS does not require a code. Please write "Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology". No address is required as scores are reported electronically.
- If you are an international student, you should take the IELTS test by November 15. The Department of Biological Engineering does not waive this requirement.
Many questions are answered in our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section. Before you contact Graduate Admissions, please take the time to review our FAQ page.
Please address questions about the application process to . You can find more information about MIT graduate admissions in general at the MIT Graduate Admissions site.