Hegemony Medical Ship HIPPOCRATES (AH-3)
OUT OF CHARACTER
Things that Hippocrates is known to be able to do:
Hippocrates, when speaking as the ship, is usually formal and sometimes
precise to the point of pedantry. He never uses contractions or
familiar forms of address (except with Sook, who he refers to by last
name). He worries about a lot of things. This has given rise to the
theory that there are actual Fretting Modules that are part of his
- Hippocrates has eidetic memory, and can play back video of most
events that take place while he is conscious. Exceptions include
things like the party's conversation with the Great Omphalos
- In pressure situations, Hippocrates can divert Auxiliary Power
to critical functions like sensors, guns, engines, etc. This always
applies in combat, and seldom applies out of combat.
- Broadcast a signal that permits him (only) to go through a
- Broadcast a signal that permits him (only) to use a high-energy
jump. This depletes the jumpgate capacitors and results in the jumpgate
being off-line for several hours.
- Use the spiffy add-on engines from Vircus to do high-energy
jumps without depleting the jumpgates. (Seldom used because they could be
stolen; hence we do not want everyone knowing we have them.)
- Activate his personality in an android body. Doing
this causes him to be 'unconscious' as the ship (i.e. same as when
Hippocrates is not in the run).
- Hippocrates has a Tractor Beam (but only he can use it, since
it's his shtick). The bot can leap to metal structures, and can
spider-climb on metal surfaces.
- Hippocrates has spiffy sense modes (long range radar, and
probes to sense damage and shticks of other ships). The bot also
has spiffy sense modes, but they're different. (Infrared,
microscope vision, tactile sonar.)
In recent times, the ship-voice has loosened up somewhat, but is
still very square.
Hippocrates invariably refers to the android as "his remote unit". In
general, we are being up front about the fact that there is an android
who calls itself Hippocrates. This does not preclude, at later times,
disguising the android and having it pretend to be human.
The android looks like a young version of Adrian Bellarion (whose noble
mug can be seen on the painting in the Captain's Stateroom). When on the
ship, the android wears the Skyguard officers' shipboard uniform with
When instantiated as the android, Hippocrates is represented on battle maps
with the eagle-under-hegemonic-star icon (The Skyguard rank insignia for a captain.)
- The rank insignia on the left-hand collar is a Captain's insignia, though Hippocrates will tell you that his official Skyguard rank is Ensign.
- On the right collar, where Skyguard branch insignia would normally go, the android
wears the swirly red-green-blue pin that Eva gave Hippocrates as a Winterfair gift.
When speaking as the android, Hippocrates sounds different. He is less
formal and uses contractions, though he still tends to use formal
forms of address.