skip to content



The Application

How do I apply?
Fill out the Chemical Engineering online application.  The application is open from September 15th – December 15th.

What are the application requirements?

  • Chemical Engineering Online Application
  • $75 Application Fee
  • College Transcript(s)
  • Three Letters of Recommendation
  • GRE General Test Score
  • TOEFL or IELTS Test Scores for International students

When is the application deadline?
The Chemical Engineering Department must receive all application materials no later December 15th for September matriculation.

May I use MIT's graduate application?
No. The Chemical Engineering Department has its own online application.

How do I pay for the application fee?
The online system requires you to pay with a credit card.

Can the application fee be waived or deferred?
No action will be taken on your application until the fee is paid. We understand the expense of applying to graduate programs; however, the application fee cannot be waived or deferred except in the case of minority US citizen applicants. In all other cases, MIT will not allow us to consider an application unless accompanied by the application fee.  If you are a minority US citizen, you may write a letter explaining why you are unable to pay this fee and submit to chemegrad@MIT.EDU before December 1.  A reply will be received in time for applicants to meet the December 15th application deadline.

I applied last year; how can I reapply?
You should fill out a completely new online application. Please indicate that you applied earlier by checking the appropriate box.

Can you give me an idea of my chances for admission, based on GRE scores or Class Rank, for example?
We can make no preliminary evaluation based on one or two qualifications. The Admissions Committee carefully reviews the entire application (recommendations, essay, grades, test scores, previous research experience, etc.) in making its decisions.

Is it OK to send copies of awards, papers or extra letters of recommendation to supplement my application?
No.  Because of the large volume of applications submitted to the Chemical Engineering Department, we must discourage you from sending in copies of awards, journal articles and other extraneous documents.  You may only submit the required materials.  

May I apply to other departments or programs outside of the Chemical Engineering department?
Yes, but keep in mind that the applications are independent of each other.  We do not share supporting materials with other departments. A separate fee is required for each application.

Are there any differences in the application requirements for the different graduate programs (Ph.D., Ph.D. CEP, M.S. CEP)?
No. The application requirements are the same for all of the graduate programs (Ph.D., Ph.D. CEP, M.S. CEP) within the Department of Chemical Engineering. 

Will the Department keep me informed of my application status?
We do not routinely acknowledge receipt of applications or supporting documents. Once you have submitted an application on-line you can go back in and check the status of your recommendations.
To check your admission result, you can log into your online account around the end of February. In most cases, the results will be posted rather than mailed.  Information about decisions will not be given over the phone.

Whom do I contact if I have questions about the application process?
Please send email to chemegrad@MIT.EDU

Can I visit your department or contact faculty before being admitted?
Prospective applicants are welcome to visit MIT.  You can arrange a tour of the campus through the MIT Information Center.  Official Department visits including faculty meetings and lab tours will be arranged after you have been admitted.  

[Back to Top]

Transcripts and Letters of Recommendation

To what address should I send my transcripts?
Your on-line application will require you to attach a scanned copy of your unofficial transcript(s).  If you are admitted, you will be required to mail us a hard copy of your official transcript(s), to the following address:

Department of Chemical Engineering
Graduate Admissions
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, 66-366
Cambridge, MA 02139

Do I have to fill out the "Subjects Taken Form" on the application?
If you uploaded a scanned transcript(s), you only need to enter information for courses not on those transcripts.

Can I send in more than 3 letters of recommendation?
Yes, the online system will allow you to submit more than three recommendation letters.  However, it is not required or recommended.

Can I submit a letter of recommendation from an industrial supervisor?
We understand that it may be difficult to obtain all letters from faculty members.  However, we strongly recommend that at least two letters are from faculty members who knew you well.  When in doubt, remember that our Admissions Committee wants to know about your ability to do independent research. Character references do not carry weight.

[Back to Top]


Is the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) mandatory?
Only the general portion of the GRE is required for admission to the department. However, you can take the optional subject/advanced section in your undergraduate major if you feel it will give the Admissions Committee more insight into your qualifications.  GRE scores are valid for 5 years.

How do I report my GRE scores?
Your on-line application will require you to attach a scanned copy of your test scores.  GRE scores should also be sent directly to MIT from ETS.  MIT's school code for the GRE is 3514. The code for the Department of Chemical Engineering at MIT is 1001.

When is the last date I can take the GRE?
Applicants are expected to take the GREs by November 30 to allow for proper reporting time.  Applications will not be reviewed until your scores are received.

What is the minimum score for the GRE test and the minimum GPA?
There is no minimum score for the GRE and GPA. That being said, we will take this opportunity to say that admission to our program is highly competitive. Click here to see chart which indicates the average, median, and most often submitted scores for those students who have been accepted into our graduate programs in the last five years.

Who is required to take the IELTS or TOEFL?
You are required to take the IELTS or TOEFL if your first language is not English. TOEFL/IELTS is waived for applicants who are citizens of Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Singapore, or the United Kingdom, or for applicants who have or will earn a BS degree at a US university.

How do I report my IELTS or TOEFL scores?
Your on-line application will require you to attach a scanned copy of your test scores.  IELTS or TOEFL scores should also be sent directly to MIT. IELTS does not require a code. Just write "Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology". No address is required as scores are reported electronically. For reporting the TOEFL scores, the MIT institution code is 3514, and the department code is 64.  IELTS and TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years.

When is the last date I can take the IELTS or TOEFL?
Applicants are expected to take the IELTS or TOEFL by November 15th to allow for proper reporting time.  Applications will not be reviewed until your scores are received.

What is the minimum requirement for the IELTS?
The minimum overall band score requirement for the IELTS is 7.

What is the minimum requirement for the TOEFL?
The minimum overall score requirement for the TOEFL is 100.

Can I submit TOEFL scores instead of IELTS scores?
Yes. The Chemical Engineering Department at MIT will accept the TOEFL (as of July 16, 2013). 

[Back to Top]

Graduate Degree Programs

What degree programs do you offer in Chemical Engineering?
MIT's Department of Chemical Engineering offers three graduate degree programs:

Can I apply to more than one degree program in your department?
No, you will need to pick one degree program to apply to.

Are interdisciplinary programs available?
The MIT Chemical Engineering Department participates in the following interdisciplinary programs.  Admission procedures vary, so please contact these offices directly to obtain information and instructions.

Does the Department admit its own S.B. students to the graduate program?
We consider our own undergraduates for the M.S.CEP program, but for no other degrees. This policy is difficult for us, because we must turn away some excellent students. However, we feel very strongly that our students benefit by going to another school for an advanced degree. We make the M.S.CEP exception because the Practice School has no equivalent at other schools.

I am an undergraduate chemistry major. Do I have a chance of being admitted? Are there courses I should take to strengthen my engineering background?
We require that all incoming graduates take four core classes regardless of prior coursework.  If your background is not in Chemical Engineering, please keep in mind that you will need to pass these core requirements and that this may be very difficult without experience as an undergraduate in Chemical Engineering.  In the past, our faculty has admitted students from other disciplines with an educational background that we believe has prepared the student for our graduate core classes. 

Chemical Engineering CORE CURRICULLUM

  • Numerical Methods in Chemical Engineering 10.34
  • Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics 10.40
  • Analysis of Transport Phenomena 10.50
  • Chemical Reactor Engineering 10.65

Is there any way to pursue part-time non-degree study at MIT?
The MIT Chemical Engineering Department administers to our full-time graduate students. Part-time study is considered "Special Student status" by MIT, and is overseen by the MIT Graduate Student Office. Please see their website for more information.

[Back to Top]


What kind of funding is available to support students in the program?
Financial Support for graduate students in the Department of Chemical Engineering is available in the form of fellowships, research assistantships, or teaching assistantships.  Students receive full tuition, a stipend and individual health coverage.

[Back to Top]