A Weekly Newsletter from the Office of the Department Chairman
Volume 11, Number 28
MIT Department of Chemistry
Friday, May 19, 1995
The deadline for the next issue is Tuesday, June 13 at 5:00 p.m. Please convey items of interest (or mailing list changes) to Eve Diana, Room 18-390, Department of Chemistry, MIT, Cambridge, MA 02139, 617/253-4080; 617/258-7500 (fax) or send electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
This is the last issue of Chemformation for the academic year. The next issue will appear on Friday, June 16, 1995. Subsequent summer issues will appear once a month.
- Organic Chemistry Seminar
- James S. Nowick
- University of California, Irvine
- "Design, Synthesis, and Study of New Peptide Structural Mimics and Templates"
- Thursday, May 25, 1995
- 4:00 PM in Room 6-120
- Refreshments at 3:30 in Room 18-490
Dietmar Seyferth, Professor of Chemistry, has been elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. The organization was founded by John Adams to bring together leading figures from universities, government, business and the arts to promote knowledge for the public interest.
Attention Students! Attend the sixth annual BioPharmaceutical Conference for free! The conference will take place at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel in Boston, MA on June 12-14, and is looking for a few responsible, energetic, and outgoing students to assist as session room monitors. In exchange, you will receive free admission to the conference sessions and workshops. Application forms are due by 5/31/95, and are available in Chemistry Headquarters (18-390) and at the Chemistry Education Office (2-325).
For more information on the opportunities listed below, please check with the Chemistry Education Office in Room 2-325.
- Polestar Technologies, Needham Heights, MA, a company that develops novel optical detection instrumentation for life sciences, medical and environmental applications, is looking for a BS/BA chemist to conduct experimental lab work in calibration and testing of analytical instrumentation.
For more info on the opportunities listed below, please check the blue binders in Headquarters.
- Polaroid, Waltham, MA has a scientist position available in its Hi-Res R&D division for candidates with a Ph.D. degree in polymer chemistry or equivalent and a strong background in polymers, coatings and adhesives.
- ATC Diagnostics, Framingham, MA has a position available for an analytical QC scientist with a Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry or molecular biology to develop new methods for analytical QC testing using HPLC, 1/E chromatography, and capillary electrophoresis.
- Tennessee Valley Authority, Muscle Shoals, AL has an immediate postdoctoral position open in their Environmental Research Center, evaluation chemical/biochemical indicators in the measurement and speciation of metals in flue gases.
- Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH has three postdoctoral positions open in their direct methanol fuel cell program exploring the relevant science and engineering fundamentals and applying them to develop a polymer methanol fuel cell, an interdisciplinary project involving researchers from chemical engineering, chemistry, and macromolecular science. They are seeking candidates with experience in electrochemistry.
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN is seeking a postdoctoral research associate in organic chemistry to work in Dr. A.C. Buchanan's physical organic chemistry group in the Chemical and Analytical Sciences Division.
Index of Chemformation Back Issues