The Weekly Newsletter of the MIT Chemistry Department
Volume 11, Number 44
Friday, December 8, 1995
Next Issue: Friday, December 15. Chemformation is published by the Office of the Department Chairman. The deadline for the next issue is Tuesday, December 12. Please convey items of interest (or mailing list changes) to Linda Earle, Room 18-393, Department of Chemistry, MIT, Cambridge, MA 02139, 617/253-4080; 617/258-7500 (fax) or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Back issues of Chemformation can be accessed via the Chemistry Department Website.
Visit the Chemistry Department Website at http://web.mit.edu/chemistry/www/
- Professor Philip A. Anfinrud
- Harvard University
- "Biology from Femtoseconds to Microseconds: A Time-resolved IR Study of Myoglobin"
- Tuesday, December 12, 1995
- 4:00 in 2-105
- Refreshments @ 3:30 in 6-321
- Dr. James L. Gleason
- California Institute of Technology
- "Alkylation of Pseudoephedrine Amides: A Highly Practical Method for the Synthesis of Nonatural Amino Acids"
- Wednesday, December 13, 1995
- 4:00 in 4-370
- Organic Faculty Candidate
Chemistry Department Holiday Party
Please join us for a holiday party on Thursday, 14 December at 4:00 in the Norris Room. All department faculty, staff, and students, as well as their loved ones, are invited.
Graphics for the Chemistry Department Web Site
A greatly expanded and more elaborate Chemistry Department Web Site is currently "under construction." We plan to connect it to the World Wide Web (replacing our current home page) on February 1. To help in the production of the new Web Site, we welcome contributions of graphics, photographs, scientific figures, drawings, candids around the department, MIT, and Boston, etc. are needed. If you would like to help out and see your image on the Web, please send a copy of any material to Rick Danheiser or Bruce Tidor.
Inorganic Chemistry Cumulative Exam
Please note, that the Inorganic Chemistry Cumulative Examination will cover "Materials Chemistry"!!
Funding Information on the Web
Susan Brighton of the Graduate office offers this reminder that the URL for the OSP page on the Web is: http://web.mit.edu/org/o/osp/www/ and is a great resource for funding information for graduate students and postdocs.
Need an Apartment?
A sublet until April of 1996 with the possibility of a lease, twelve minute walk to campus with one bedroom, a big kitchen and hardwood floors all for $775 per month. Please call Martin or Carina at 3-6438.
Thank You to Our Chemistry Telethon Callers!!
Congratulations to our Chemistry Department Telethon Callers who participated on October 19th: Juan Bruno, Dana Leard and Kent Pryor. The callers received 55 specified pledge amounts and 20 non-specified dollar amount pledges. The total pledges counted to date equals $8,705. The callers had an 80% pledge rate from those that they spoke to!
- Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI: Seeks applicants for an assistant professor of chemistry with someone with a Ph.D. in organic chemistry and a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching and research, synthetic organic chemistry preferred.
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) in Livermore, CA: has an opening for an experienced professional to lead the operations of the Laboratory's world-class Microtechnology Center. In this highly visible position, the manager will be responsible for developing industry and university partnerships, managing the Center's multi-million dollar research portfolio including program development, customer relations and marketing and staff recruitment. Candidates should have a Ph.D. in either Electronics, Chemical Engineering or a Physical Science with extensive experience in managing research programs.
- The Rockerfeller University, New York, New York: seeks laboratory Research Assistant positions available for students who will be attaining their B.S. or M.S. degrees in the life sciences. Excellent opportunity for individuals interested in eventual Graduate/Medical School or long-term commitment to research.
- Lab Director: Direct and supervise environmental lab staff. Hands-on experience on lab equipment and in QA/QC. Water quality analysis and GC/MS proficiency required. Good oral and writing skills a must. Requires Masters degree in Chemistry and minimum one year experience as Lab Director or Assistant Lab Director, Ph.D. a plus. Send resume with salary history to Interstate Sanitation Commission: P.O. Box 2181, Times Square Station, NY, NY 10108.
Index of Chemformation Back Issues