Events and Fundraisers
Community Giving at MIT hosts a series of activities throughout the year in partnership with local agencies.
Get involved now by taking part in our current fundraisers and collections:
CASPAR Winter Collection Drive
Friday, November 13 to Monday, November 23
- 600 Memorial Drive, lobby: Bldg. W98
- CopyTech: Bldg. 11-004
- Community Services Office: Bldg. E38-234
- Environmental Programs Office: Bldg. N52-496
- Media Lab: Bldg. E14-245
- MIT Investment Management Company: Bldg. E48-200
- Sloan School of Management, lobby: Bldg. E62
- Whitaker Building, lobby: Bldg. E25
Items collected during this drive will be donated to CASPAR Emergency Services Center, an MIT community partner that provides services to those affected by substance abuse disorders in Cambridge and Somerville.
- Men's and women's winter clothing
- Men's gloves and hats
- Men's and Women's socks
Print out our poster- click here!
Secret Santa for Seniors gift collection
Monday, November 23 - Monday, December 14
The holiday season which can be a lonely time for senior citizens who may not have family or friends with whom to celebrate. Together, we can help the Cambridge police surprise members of our community with holiday gift bags on Christmas eve!
Donations needed (new, and unwrapped):
- Winter clothing (Socks, hats, gloves, sweaters)
- Festive home items (Blankets, bathrobes, dish towels)
- Tasty treats (Chocolates, crackers, hard candy)
- Warm winter drinks (Ground coffee, tea, hot cocoa)
- Winter care supplies (Lip balm, cough drops)
Last year's Secret Santa for Seniors collection was a huge success, and we hope to make it a success once more! Collection boxes will be going out to departments who wish to host them this Friday! We'll have a list of locations posted soon. Please contact us if you'd like to host a collection box for your department!
Print out our poster- click here!
MIT2016 "Together in Service" Public Service Day
Departments across MIT are getting involved in the "Together in Service" Public Service day in April of 2016. The day's activities, part of the MIT2016 celebration of 100 years in Cambridge, will help guide our students, faculty, and staff to exciting volunteer opportunities in Cambridge and Boston. There are already a number of ways you can plan to get involved!
- CityDays: 500 MIT community members will engage with the Cambridge and Greater Boston community by volunteering with neighborhood agencies. Registration begins in the spring. Contact Sarah Bouchard for info.
- Cambridge Civic Engagement "Serve-a-thon": The Graduate Student Council is collecting proposals from Cambridge city officials and community members for pressing civic needs that could be addressed in one day by motivated teams of MIT students. Learn more and make a proposal at the Serve-a-thon website.
- Community Giving at MIT Collection Drive: The Community Services office is partnering with the Office of Government and Community Relations to coordinate an MIT-wide collection drive to benefit a wide spectrum of Cambridge nonprofits. We are hoping to work with 100 departments, centers, laboratories, employee groups, and student groups to participate in the collection. If you are interested in getting your department or group involved, please contact us!
Cell phone donation: Ongoing collection
Drop off or send your used cell phone to the Community Services Office, Room E38-234. Proceeds from the donations help support the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC), which provides free, comprehensive services to survivors of sexual violence. To date, MIT has donated over 280 cell phones.
Used book fair
Friday, November 13 and Monday, November 16
Bush Room (Bldg. 10-105) and Memorial Lobby (Bldg. 10)
Thank you for such a wonderful book fair this year. We sold almost $5,000 worth of your donated books to your friends and colleagues! We always look forward to this event, and it was such a joy bringing this entertaining giving opportunity to campus once again. We hope to see you at next year's fair!