The diversity of professional backgrounds that distinguishes classes at the Center continues as graduates re-enter the industry. While some choose to continue their previous work at a more advanced level, others change direction substantially. Recent examples of such changes include:
- from broker to securitization specialist
- from architect to acquisition analyst
- from planner to project manager
- from appraiser to asset manager
- from accountant to housing developer
- from project manager to consultant
To see how some graduates have used the MSRED program to shape their careers, visit this website's alumni career profiles page.
Currently, over 800 alumni of the Master's degree program are employed in scores of organizations around the world. As their careers progress, graduates report that the dynamic, multi-disciplinary MIT curriculum has prepared them well to meet the changing demands of the marketplace. They find themselves at an advantage because they have learned how to analyze both the quantitative and the qualitative characteristics of real property assets, developed and managed within increasingly complex financial, physical and political environments.
While affirming that career development is essentially a self-directed process, the Center does provide general and technical support to familiarize students with the range of career opportunities and to help them broaden and effectively use their networks of professional contacts:
- skill-building programs include workshops on resume preparation and interviewing
- opportunities to increase networks are provided through presentations on campus by real estate companies, informal lectures by leading practitioners, and research partnerships with industry
- students are also invited to the occasional Partner Meetings and Alumni Association events
- the Center publishes and distributes a resume book and schedules visits for organizations which want to interview on campus
- professional staff provide individual career counseling as requested
Job opportunities and salary scales for our graduates are competitive with those offered to graduates of leading business schools, reflecting the maturity, diversity, and experience of the candidates and their MIT education. For more details, download the latest salary survey and employment statistics: