MIT Center for Real Estate
Celebrates 25 Years!
The Center for Real Estate (MIT/CRE) and the MSRED program have just received a phenomenal opportunity! We have been offered space in Building 9 with excellent visibility directly off of Massachusetts Avenue and adjacent to MIT's main entrance - if we can raise at least $1 million from our alumni/ae in the next 3 months. With a very generous gift from an MIT alum, together with Institute support, the project is fully feasible. I know that you, that we, are up to the challenge. Some highlights:
- A floor of full-length windows on Mass. Ave -- with sunlight streaming through the windows of the student, faculty, and Center spaces
- A location in the academic heart of the campus and the School of Architecture and Planning – connected to virtually everything
- State-of-the-art technology for the classroom, student lounge, and student workspaces, modern HVAC…
We are working with a group of alumni/ae who have agreed to be fundraising ambassadors for this important initiative and who will be reaching out to you during January and February with detailed plans for our new home.
Our development time frame is also aggressive. Our goal is to complete the renovation so that the Class of 2012 can occupy the new space in September. To make this move a reality, we need your pledge of financial support and we need it quickly!
This opportunity is one of three significant supportive actions by the Institute and the School - to the Center and the MSRED program. In addition to space for a new home, space befitting a world-class program and institution, there has been a pledge of:
- Ongoing Institute funding for MSRED faculty and staff positions, and
- Permanent and renewable faculty positions within the Department of Urban Studies and Planning to insure the MSRED curriculum.
Let me assure you that the Institute, School, and Departments are completely committed to the real estate program.
As we enter our second quarter century, we stand at a profound and exciting crossroads, a place with extraordinary promise. I am confident that the 800+ MIT/CRE alumni/ae will be able to rise to the challenge and translate this vision into a reality.