Residence System Implementation Team (RSIT)
Tuesday, November 13 @ 4:00 p.mm-5: 00 pm in PDR3
Attendees: Julie Norman, Liz Young, Sara Pierce, Josh Yardley, Denise Vallay , Ellen M. Essigmann, Matt Cain, Grace Kessenich, Katie ODair, Howie Kleinwaks, Jeff Roberts, Kate Baxter, Chandra Mincher, David Rogers, Larry M. Benedict, Barbara Baker, Rick Gresh, Tony Gray, Fran Miles
The meeting was opened at 4:00 by Barbara Baker who thanked everyone for their time and efforts. She commented on how the group represents an assimilation of different viewpoints. She stressed that we are moving on time and are on target in pulling things together by the end of this semester and we will look to next semester to make things happen.
- We should establish a meeting schedule for next semester. Tuesday at 4p.m. is a possible time, however, a recommendation was made to wait until class schedules come out in December
- Meet in January for lunch. Everyone would be available with the exception of Howie Kleinwaks
Status of Simmons Dorm:
- Subcontractors will provide info on schedules at a meeting tomorrow. All are invited.
Goals for this meeting:
- FSILG Financial Transition Report
- F.R.O.S.H. Report
- Communications to MIT community
General Updates (Rick Gresh):
- Reviewed schedule (see attached)
- Campus Preview Weekend
- Zaragoza Guerra invited to join
- Proposed orientation mailing will have FSILG information in it. Larger mailing will go out in late July. David, Josh, Panhel Rep and Liz will discuss further.
- Cultural Houses: Will continue to work on process
- Housemasters- Will discuss orientation programs- may offer to do a Sunday lunch and Wednesday evening dessert.
- CityDays: Will be the Friday of orientation. Goal is to have broader participation. Plan is to have summer selection of service activity.
Financial Transition Proposal:
Visit website: http://web.mit.edu/dormcon/www/rsit/Financial_Transition_Prop.html
Josh goes over guidelines that were used as a basis for the proposal
- MIT should subsidize FSILGs because of the 2002 decision
- Ensure that the support for all FSILGs is given in a uniform manner
- Support for all FSILGs that adapt to the changing demographics of MIT
Expectations of FSILGs is that chapters should not sit back and take MITs money and should maximize in house residency (see page 4 Financial Transition Report).
- Discussion of how financial support is determined (see page 5 6 FTR) and various formulas that will be used
- Discussion of fixed costs and subsequent reimbursement for same—will it be 80% or 100% reimbursement
- Formation of committee to look at reimbursement for each house
- Issue of sororities that do not have residences for frshmen. They rely on freshmen that do not live there. Funds will cover part of fixed costs. Sororities will be hit big during the first semester.
- Goal: to encourage houses to charge non-residential members dues (a fee).
Issue at hand is whether houses will get 80% or 100% reimbursement. There are pros and cons to each one
Josh Yardley: Houses will not sit back and say that we do not need a good rush. We want to help houses as the transition will hurt houses financiallywe do not want to punish houses that do not do well.
David Rogers: Collection of financial data from each house is crucial so that we have full picture. Information will then go to Larry Benedict for review and discussion. DSL will submit budget. No data = no money. Larry congratulates FSILGs on good work so far
Visit website: http://web.mit.edu/dormcon/www/rsit/FROSH-report.html
Denise Vallay: FROSH Report– There have been changes in name and in terminology. Glossary is in place to help with definitions. The are three sub committees who meet each Friday.
Discussion of lottery algorithms
- Room assignment chairs helping to develop a Lifestyle Questionnaire to enable room assignments.
- What happens after Step 6 (in-house room assignments)
- Matt Cain: Issues involved with after people are assignedcan keep assignment or enter lottery and get a new assignment
- Pre-existing rooming procedures in place. Are there guidelines to oversee the various rooming procedures? Students can look around once they are in a dormkeep assignment or look around before coming to a decision.
- Question is how do you encourage people to consider moving without pressuring themyou must give alternatives to students. This can apply when a freshman is living in a house where they do not get along. You must do as much as you can to anticipate problems before they happen.
- Print material about houses will know more by early December.
- Housemasters will have time to look at publications before it is printed.
- Discussion of role that housemaster will playshould they have some showcasing role?
- Housemasters and house governments should both be involved in the information on culture of each house according to Larry Benedict. Encourage each house to work together with housemaster
Communication with MIT community:
- Opportunity on Nov 27th: Campus wide town meeting to which all RSIT members are invited to speak.
- Concern expressed that student body lacks information
- Should give short overview of each committees key points
- How do we focus on what audience wants to hear?
- Docs should be put on website
- Rick to organize presentation planning group
Copyright © MIT Residence System Implementation Team
Comments and questions to email@example.com