RSIT RESIDENCE SELECTION SUBCOMMITTEE
"THEME" HOUSES WORKING GROUP
10/30/01 Meeting Follow-up
WORKING GROUP MEMBERS
Ebraheem Fontaine (email@example.com)
Jeannette Garza (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Efrain Rodriquez (email@example.com)
Carl Patten (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ernesto Cortez (email@example.com)
Denise Vallay (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mary Ross (email@example.com)
Matt Cain (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Morgan Sonderegger (email@example.com)
Oskar Bruening (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dawn Ash (email@example.com)
Aaradhana Prajapati (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Rick Gresh (email@example.com)
* Ellen Essigmann (firstname.lastname@example.org)
THEME HOUSE RESIDENCE SELECTION PLAN
The incoming first-year residence selection due date will move a week
earlier to June 21 to allow for a week during which Theme Houses can
contact/interview applicants. At the end of that week, they will
submit a list of individuals who have verified they meet the criteria
for membership in the House. At the same time, RLSLP must receive
confirmation for the incoming first-year student that they would like
to live in the House. Assignments to Theme Houses will be made prior
to the running of the lottery to assign incoming first-year residents
to all other residence halls.
ADDITIONAL POINTS OF AGREEMENT
- Chocolate City is moving towards being an upperclass-only
house. Spring 02 will be a time where they will identify additional
members from students on campus. For the first three years, they do
plan to house some first-year students, though fewer numbers each
- Theme Houses understand that there is flexibility in
accommodating their needs, but any plan must fill all beds; RLSLP
cannot allow beds to go unfilled.
NEXT STEPS (RSIT, RLSLP, DormCon)
- Matt Cain will talk with Admissions about a process for
how potential students can indicate a preference to be housed at a
Theme House for Campus Preview Weekend.
- RSIT will clarify which subgroups, etc. Theme Houses should
participate in (the Residence Selection Subcommittee will take the
lead on this).
- Lottery Working Group will discuss how to ensure that the residence
application meets the needs of the Theme Houses (should a Theme House
representative to that group be named?). Are there any short
NEXT STEPS (Theme Houses)
- Theme Houses will determine the collective name for their group ("Theme," "Cultural," etc.) to ensure there is consistent language used in publications, etc.
- Theme Houses will discuss with New House government whether they should be attending room assignment chair meetings directly or work through the New House RAC.
- Theme Houses will name a representative to the Residence Publications Subgroup (Morgan volunteered to be the rep, at least initially). This group will work on Theme House presentation issues in the CD, publications, etc.
- Theme Houses will name a representative to any other subgroups/working groups of RSIT as requested.
- Theme Houses will identify an adequate number of hosts for CPW.
- Theme Houses will collectively consider how to get the most out of CPW, perhaps developing a brochure for distribution at CPW that highlights the concept of Theme Houses and a bit about each House (and perhaps clarify the application process over the summer).
- Squatting/removing individuals from Theme Houses if they are not living up to their responsibilities, such as cooking, etc. What is the process for this?
Copyright © MIT Residence System Implementation Team
Comments and questions to email@example.com