XFOIL is an interactive program for the
design and analysis of subsonic isolated airfoils.
It consists of a
collection of menu-driven routines which perform various useful functions such
- Viscous (or inviscid) analysis of an existing airfoil, allowing
- forced or free transition
- transitional separation bubbles
- limited trailing edge separation
- lift and drag predictions just beyond CLmax
- Karman-Tsien compressibility correction
- fixed or varying Reynolds and/or Mach numbers
- Airfoil design and redesign by interactive modification of surface speed
distributions, in two methods:
- Full-Inverse method, based on a complex-mapping formulation
- Mixed-Inverse method, an extension of XFOIL's basic panel method
- Airfoil redesign by interactive modification of geometric parameters such as
- max thickness and camber, highpoint position
- LE radius, TE thickness
- camber line via geometry specification
- camber line via loading change specification
- flap deflection
- explicit contour geometry (via screen cursor)
- Blending of airfoils
- Writing and reading of airfoil coordinates and polar save files
- Plotting of geometry, pressure distributions, and multiple polars
The most important conditions are:
- You may copy, modify and redistribute XFOIL or its modifications freely.
- Any such redistributions must be done under the terms of the GPL,
else the permission is withdrawn.
Note: The source code for Xfoil itself is the same for Unix and Win32. The plot library directory (plotlib) has a separate win32 subdirectory. See all the README files for more info.
Win32 Notes: Interaction with Win32 XFOIL is through a DOS-type text console
window. Some of Microsoft's Win32 OS'es (Win95/98/ME) have limitations on
# of lines in a console window and cannot fully display XFOIL menus or output.
Win95/98/ME also have other shortcomings with regard to resource usage
and stability although XFOIL runs under these OS'es.
Windows NT, Win2000 and Windows XP are the recommended Win32 platforms.
- xfoil6.97.tar.gz (3972497 bytes)
Xfoil 6.97 for Unix and Win32.
Xfoil for Mac-OSX
An independent 3rd-party build.
- xfoil6.99.tgz (4515991 bytes)
Xfoil 6.99 for
Unix and Win32. Gzipped directory tar image.
All source code, Orr-Sommerfeld database, plain text
version of User Guide, sample Xfoil session inputs.
Requires Fortran 77, C
compilers, windowing support.
- XFOIL6.99.zip (3813300 bytes)
Xfoil 6.99 for Windows.
- xfoilP3.zip (508267 bytes)
executable for Win32, optimized for Pentium 3.
- xfoilP4.zip (531947 bytes)
executable for Win32, optimized for Pentium 4.
- Pplot.zip (289812 bytes)
Pplot executable for
Win32 (optional separate polar save-file plotter).
- Pxplot.zip (281493 bytes)
Pxplot executable for
Win32 (optional separate polar dump-file plotter).
Win32 Exe Notes: The executables for Win32 were compiled using
the Intel Fortran Compiler 5.01-15 and Visual C++6.0. The Intel compiler
(thanks to Tom Clarkson at Intel) was used to optimize executables for P3
and P4 Pentium architectures. The XFOIL executables should run on any
Win32 Pentium-class machine as compiler options were used to include
both optimized code and generic Pentium or AMD processor code for portability.
- Mark Drela drela (AT) mit (DOT) edu,
(also Harold Youngren guppy (AT) maine (DOT) rr (DOT) com)
December 11, 2000
- Page created
- Xfoil 6.91 (Unix)
January 11, 2001 January 16, 2001
- Xfoil 6.92 (Unix and Win32)
- Added this revision
- Added Xfoil version changes text link
Fixed incorrect xfoil.zip link (it was to an older 6.8 version)
- Added note
on text color problem with 32-bit display depth
January 26, 2001
- Added link to Xfoil discussion Egroup
April 30, 2001
- Xfoil 6.93 (Unix and Win32)
- Changed link to
Egroup, which got gobbled up by Yahoo
December 18, 2001
- Xfoil 6.94 (Unix and Win32)
November 22, 2005
- Xfoil 6.96 (Unix)
December 8, 2005
- Xfoil 6.96 (Unix) -- Added missing /osrc directoryMay 3, 2006
- Xfoil 6.96 (Win32)
July 20, 2006
- Removed links to PS and PDF versions of User Guide (not up to date).
Added link to data flow diagram.
February 28, 2007
- Modified the GPL summary above.
Previously this wasn't a correct GPL interpretation, as discussed
June 26, 2007
- Added a description of the INTE command operations
to the xfoil_doc.txt file.
Feb 17, 2008
- Added link to Mac-OSX version of Xfoil.
April 7, 2008
- Xfoil 6.97 (Unix)
Dec 23, 2013
- Xfoil 6.99 (Unix, Windows)