A Short History of Blue Hill Lodge A.F. & A.M. of Massachusetts
by Wor. Ralph W. Staples
On the tenth day of March 1863, the Most Worshipful Grand Master of
Massachusetts granted dispensation to a group of Masons from the
Stoughton/Canton area to organize a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons in
Canton, Massachusetts. The first meeting of the new lodge was held in the
office of the Kinsley Iron and Machine Company on Revere Street. The first
Masonic Candidate was William H. Little who was raised to the Sublime
Degree of Master Mason on the 13th of May, 1863. There is no record to tell
us of the struggles and hopes and aspirations of these ancient brethren.
The records of that first year, and indeed for several years are meager
in detail, and on the Fifteenth of March, 1864, five days after the
Dispensation had completed its year, Blue Hill Lodge was formally
constituted, and the hall consecrated and dedicated and the officers duly
In October of 1864, Blue Hill Lodge members participated in the
ceremonies incident to the laying of the cornerstone of the new Masonic
Temple in Boston, Massachusetts. Meetings were held on the Wednesday on or
before the full of the moon and on October 1865 this was changed to the
Tuesday of the same lunar relation.
On the Fourth ofFebruary, 1868 an assessment of nine dollars ($9.00) per
member was levied on members of Blue Hill Lodge for building of the Grand
Lodge in Boston, Massachusetts. The records show that practically every
member of Blue Hill Lodge promptly paid his assessment.
In September, 1869, the lodge had outgrown its quarters. It was decided
to hire the hall on Church Street directly opposite the Baptist Church, this
hall was later the headquarters of the Revere Post #94 G.A.R.
At the Regular Communication in December, 1863, George Washington Capen
was installed as Senior Deacon by proxy (a common enough proceeding in those
days), and a few days later while walking the railroad track to Canton
Junction in the face of a blinding snow storm, Brother Capen was killed by a
locomotive, and thus never occupied the chair into which he had been
inducted by proxy.
In 1892, at the November meeting the inconvenient custom of holding the
meetings with reference to the phases of the moon was abandoned, and the
lodge voted that the Regular Meetings of Blue Hill Lodge would be held on
the First Tuesday of the month, excluding July and August which could be
omitted by vote of the lodge.
Blue Hill Lodge members had always nursed the laudable ambition of having
a building of its own. In 1923 an opportunity of realizing that ambition was
presented and the Blue Hill Masonic Association was formed and incorporated
under the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to secure and hold the
so-called Tucker Block in the center of town. A competent architect prepared
suitable plans but the project had to be abandoned.
Again in 1930 it looked as if we might be able to attain our desires. The
Baptist Church property was available and negotiations were started for its
acquisition, but nothing came of it at that time. In 1937 the Baptist Church
was offered at such an attractive price that the Blue Hill Masonic
Association purchased it. The steeple was removed in the s to prevent it
from falling. The upper apartments had to be completely refurbished at that
In 1997, the ceiling in the lodge room that was badly damaged in the
winter of1996 had to be completely covered with blue board and a new plaster
ceiling was installed. At that time electrical work was also done in the
In 1993, Hyde Park Lodge had a bad fire and the lodge in Hyde Park was
condemned. Hyde Park lodge merged with Eliot Lodge in Westwood and a new
Elito-Hyde Park Lodge Temple was built in Westwood center. At that time,a
series of beautiful paintings depicting the Middle Chamber of King s Temple
that hung in Hyde Park Lodge were donated to Blue Hill Lodge. Through many
hours of tedious labor, Four of these paintings were carefully restored to
their original condition by Wor. Leo V. Hand, a Past Master of Blue Hill
Lodge and his daughter Catherine.
At the Regular Communication of Blue Hill Lodge, in March, 1998, these
paintings were hung and dedicated. Certificates of Appreciation were
presented to the representatives of Eliot-Hyde Park Lodge, Wor. Leo V. Hand
and his daughter Catherine Hand.
In 1997 the Blue Hill Masonic Association voted to lease the Banquet
Hall, Kitchen and adjoining rooms to Family-A-Fare Catering for not less
than 5 years to operate a catering kitchen with the agreement that
Family-A-Fare Catering would provide catering for all Blue Hill Lodge
At that time, the Blue Hill Masonic Association refurbished the hall,
fenced in the parking lot, completely re-plumbed the downstairs, installed a
200 amp electrical system and installed both up-to-code Fire Alarm and
Burglar Alarm Systems throughout the lodge.
In 1998 Blue Hill Lodge set up a Web Page on the worldwide web. This web
page tells about Blue Hill Lodge activities and has a schedule of our
upcoming events, a photo album pertaining to Blue Hill Lodge and has links
to many Masonic Web Sites including the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, which
was the first Grand Lodge in the United States to go on the web and the Hyde
Park 25th Masonic s newly establish web site which lists all of the lodge
activities in the Hyde Park 25th Masonic District.
During the Millenium Year, Blue Hill Lodge is taking an active part in
the CHIP Program which is sponsored by the Grand Lodge of
Massachusetts. This program in the Canton area is in hopes of taking Videos,
Tooth Prints and Finger Prints of every child in the Canton area.
UP to Reports from the Masonic World
All the way UP to A Page
About Freemasonry main page.