The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
I'm interested in how kittens are named in other languages and
cultures. If you've got the time, please fill in the form (or email
directly to email@example.com) with information
It isn't just one of your holiday games...
T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats
- what language (and where it is spoken)
- the word for "kitten" in your language
- the word for "cat" for comparison
- the way a kitten's sound is called (in english, "meow")
- slang words for kittens in your language (for example,
Americans will use "kitty")
- anything else you'd like to share, related to kittens...
I'll include examples as people send them in; check back here later...
cross cultural kittens
- Russian (Moldavian?)
- mRy (where R is ya)
- gatinho pron. ga-TEEN-yo
- gato pron. ga-toe
- Cha-tool-tool or Cha-chatool
Thanks to Leah Bateman, David Nilsson, Kim Yilwook, Carol Jean Rose,
Andrew Greene, and others.