School of Engineering

For link issues, please contact webmaster

DLC Management


This chapter will orient you to the duties and responsibilities of an administrative officer (AO) working for MIT's School of Engineering (SoE). Please visit the other Chapters in Working in the School for a more detailed understanding of Financial Management, Sponsored Funds Management, and Human Resources Management. New department or division administrators should be aware that HR positions and related transactions are categorized as academic and non-academic. Academic positions are initiated and managed within the School and DLC's whereas HR plays a larger role in non-academic HR matters. Therefore this Chapter includes transactional information on faculty appointments.

As you can see from the table of contents above (note that major headings are arranged alphabetically), AOs are responsible for a wide variety of functions at their department, lab, or center (DLC). Duties can range from keeping the lights on to maintaining computer networks; from getting a door key to planning a major research conference; from assigning parking spaces to procuring property to reporting in-depth on DLC finances. Although you may delegate some of these responsibilities, you should understand the nature of these functions and the resources available to you and your staff for fulfilling them.

Please don't be afraid to ask questions about subjects not covered in this guide (or even about subjects that are covered). Many people are available to ease your transition into the MIT community. We encourage you to take full advantage of these people and resources:

Back to top

Getting Started

As a member of the MIT community, you will need access to various services and facilities. You must also be familiar with the Institute's general policies and practices. The paragraphs below serve as a starting point, not only for you as a new AO, but also for staff that you may subsequently hire.


Pick up your ID card from the MIT Card Office, which produces color photo IDs for the MIT community. The Office is located in E32-117, and is open from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. You will need your employee ID number from Human Resources (HR) before a card can be issued to you.

All MIT employees are required to carry an Institute ID card. The card not only identifies you as an employee of the organization, but it can also grant:

TechCASH is the spending plan provided by MIT for the use of students and employees. With this plan, the MIT ID can be used like a credit or debit card, letting you charge various services to your account. Participants use their ID card to make purchases at Campus Dining halls, copy machines, bookstores, convenience stores, laundry, vending and CopyTech centers. TechCASH is an efficient and safe way to purchase necessities at work without having to worry about carrying cash.

To enroll in TechCASH, you must complete a payroll deduction authorization form. These forms are available in the Card Services office in E32-117. All purchases made during a pay period will be deducted in the next pay check.

Email Accounts

MIT relies heavily on email to conduct day to day business. Email is quick, easy, permits you to focus on the business at hand, offers a mechanism (email attachments) for sharing electronic files, and provides a way to track your progress and the progress of your colleagues. But email has its drawbacks. Often it is used as a poor substitute for important in-person communication. In addition, the sheer volume of email can be overwhelming, especially if you don't attend to it frequently.

To set up an email account on Athena (MIT's campus-wide academic computing environment), visit the Athena User Accounts website. You must have an MIT ID number before you can create an Athena account. For guidelines on managing electronic mail and developing effective email habits, visit the School of Engineering's website A Few Words About Email.

Professional Conduct

As an employee of MIT, you represent the Institute and its values. Accordingly, you should conduct yourself with a high degree of professionalism.

Confidentiality. Administrative officers have access to financial, academic, and personal information, and you will likely find yourself privy to sensitive information. As an AO, you must maintain all necessary and appropriate confidentiality regarding students, faculty, staff, and MIT itself. If you find that you must convey sensitive information, we expect you to use discretion in determining when, where, and with whom to do so most appropriately.

Customer Service. MIT is a very large institution, hosting hundreds of visitors and clients every day. As an employee of the School of Engineering, you should aspire to a high degree of customer service for the diverse clients with whom we interact, exercising courtesy, follow-through on commitments, and timeliness.

Tolerance. Like MIT, the School of Engineering abides by the Policy of Nondiscrimination that marks the university culture. We seek to express values that represent the highest level of respect and regard for the diverse needs, interests, and perspectives of all individuals without regard to ethnicity, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.

As with the policy of nondiscrimination, MIT's Policy on Harassment makes clear that harassment of any kind is not tolerated. All MIT supervisors have a responsibility to stop harassment in the areas under their supervision.

All staff should project attitudes and behaviors that nourish an open, trusting, and welcoming environment for everyone who is part of, or visiting, the MIT community. Whatever challenging circumstances you may face as an Institute AO, we expect from you the highest standards of respect and courtesy.

Safety and Security

Office and computer security is included in the myriad of responsibilities of most DLC administrators. Resources for Safety will guide you through communications to assist with this effort.

MIT's safety van service, known as SafeRide, provides safe transportation at night within and around the MIT campus. SafeRide is free, operates 7 days a week, and is available to all members of the MIT community. Drivers carry two-way radios for a direct link to the Campus Police. In addition, the SafeRide service has a designated handicapped-accessible van for each route.

MIT Campus Police provide several services to promote safety and security. These and other safety services are covered in the Safety, Security and Crime Prevention Handbook.

For more information, see Police Department below.

Transportation and Parking

You have several options for transportation to, from, and around the Institute. These include mass transit, shuttle services, and individual automobiles (which of course require parking spaces). The Parking and Transportation Office website is the best resource for information, but this section provides a brief overview.

MBTA. If you plan to commute to the Institute via public transportation (subway or bus), consider participating in MIT's program for monthly MBTA passes. The Institute encourages public transportation by subsidizing "T" passes, and offers very attractive monthly rates.

Shuttles. Through the Parking and Transportation Office, numerous shuttles are available to the MIT community. Safe Ride (see below) provides a safe means of transportation within and around the MIT campus at night. The TECH Shuttle provides safe transportation on weekdays. The office also coordinates the Airport Shuttle, and other shuttles that are not operated by MIT Parking and Transportation:

The Parking and Transportation Office can also provide limited shuttle services to MIT departments on weekdays.

MIT's safety van service, known as SafeRide, provides safe transportation at night within and around the MIT campus. SafeRide is free, operates 7 days a week, and is available to all members of the MIT community. Drivers carry two-way radios for a direct link to the Campus Police. In addition, the SafeRide service has a designated handicapped-accessible van for each route.

Note also that Campus Police can accommodate requests for after-hours safety rides until daylight.

Parking. As is true in most metropolitan areas, parking at MIT is limited. Institute-wide parking resources are managed by the Parking and Transportation Office, which uses a formula to allocate parking spaces. In turn, each unit at MIT has a parking coordinator who distributes the unit's allocation according to unit policy.

A parking permit is required for parking at the Institute. This permit can be obtained from the MIT Parking and Transportation Office or from your DLC Parking Coordinator. As an AO, you are likely to be your unit's parking coordinator. Remember that parking is often a sensitive issue, so work closely with your unit director to create a fair and consistent policy for allocating spaces.

Temporary parking can be arranged for exceptional cases, such as to accommodate important guests. For more information, visit the Parking Office's Permit Types web page, or contact the Parking and Transportation Office.

Hours of Operation

Hours of operation can vary among organizations around the Institute. Many of MIT's business offices operate from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. On the other hand, many DLCs operate from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Hours of operation may also vary depending on the needs of your DLC, Department/Director, and/or unit culture. Consult your supervisor to find out the rule for your DLC.

Back to top

Academic Staff

In addition to faculty, there are other academic instructional staff appointments.

Back to top

Academic Research Staff

There are also academic research staff appointments.

Back to top



The Controller's Accounting Office (CAO) handles receipt and disbursement of funds, and maintains MIT's official financial records. The CAO is itself composed of a dozen separate offices, including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, Travel, and the Cashier's Office. For a full list of all functional areas in the CAO, visit the Controller's Accounting Office website above or the CAO Office Directory. The financial component of your responsiblities are detailed in the Financial Management section of this website.

Back to top

Environmental Programs Office (EPO) and Environmental, Health, & Safety Office (EHS)

The Environmental Programs Office and its EHS Office manage MIT-wide environmental, health, and safety programs. In June 2001, MIT and the US EPA and Justice Department signed a consent decree to resolve previous violations of environmental standards by the Institute. This consent decree is intended to insure good EHS compliance and good practices, and it spells out MIT's obligations and MIT's acceptance of these obligations.

One obligation is the creation of an EHS Management System, which is founded on each DLC adopting a functional EHS organization. As an administrator, you have an important role to play with your unit director in creating and maintaining your DLC's EHS organization. For specific guidelines and general information, see Environment, Health, and Safety.

Back to top

Event & Meeting Resources

Whether you are planning a small in-house presentation for a dozen students or an Institute-wide conference with hundreds of attendees, MIT offers numerous services that can help to assure a successful event.

MIT enjoys two outstanding campus catering services, both dedicated exclusively to serving the MIT community.

The Campus Activities Complex (CAC) offers programs and services for major Institute events and conferences. CAC manages five multipurpose buildings for events sponsored by members of the MIT community, and has published a Guidebook to Planning Events @ MIT. Though geared toward student activities under CAC auspices, the Guidebook is a comprehensive resource for the planning, preparation, and execution of all manner of MIT events, both large and small.

Room Reservations and Scheduling

The MIT Schedules Office, located in room 5-111, is responsible for the day-to-day operation of MIT's classrooms. The office manages classroom space allocation both for academic instruction and for special events.

Additional conference and meeting rooms are also available around campus, but are not necessarily under the authority of the Schedules Office. The Schedules Office web site therefore includes contact information for offices that schedule those other rooms.

To reserve a classroom or find contact information for another meeting room, contact the MIT Registrar's Schedules Office.

Furniture for Events

MIT's Department of Facilities has many functions, but as a resource for event planning, the Department can provide folding chairs, tables, podiums, chalkboards, easels, and other furniture. To make a request, go to the Department of Facilities Event Setup page and click on Furniture Setup. Please give at least five days advance notice.

Audio Visual

With MIT a world technology leader, you can expect that the MIT Audio Visual Department provides a wealth of technical services and equipment. They include:


MIT CopyTech Centers are full-service reproduction facilities designed to meet the Institute's document duplication needs. The department has several locations around campus, and they offer a diverse mix of services and programs that include:

Back to top

Facilities Administration

As the AO for your DLC, you must ensure that the physical facility that your unit works operates efficiently. Your primary source for information concerning day-to-day facility operations is the MIT Department of Facilities. The Department provides the Institute's physical environment, utilities, and related support services, and its website topics include repair and maintenance, keys, custodial services, pest control, mail, the MIT recycling program, and space management.

Repair and Maintenance

The Department of Facilities provides maintenance for buildings and offices, arranged by geographic zone. Direct any problems relating to the condition of your physical space (heating, cooling, ceiling falling in, and so forth). You can find your zone from the MIT Facilities website listed below and then request the needed repair or service. Note that MIT is a union shop, and you need to use the Facilities for everything that relates to your building.

Urgent Repair. If the need for repair or maintenance is immediate, notify your zone's emergency contact for an immediate response. Emergency contact numbers are:

Routine Repair. If you want to report a non-urgent repair or maintenance issue, complete an online form.


One person in each unit is responsible for signing key request forms. This may be you, or it may be a task delegated to someone else. Either way, you need to know who in your unit is responsible. Instructions on how to obtain keys are available from Facilities - Keys.

Many units around campus are in use after normal business hours, often to accommodate students who work late. If, after hours, someone in your unit gets accidentally locked out, he or she can simply call the Campus Police, who will send an officer to unlock the door.

Mail Services

The campus mail system is a network of Distributed Mail Centers (DMCs) - drop boxes located at convenient places around the Institute. DMCs handle both interdepartmental mail (mail delivered to and from points within MIT) and US Mail.

Mail is generally picked up twice a day - once in the early afternoon and again in the evening. Interdepartmental mail is delivered within eight business hours; a letter deposited in the morning should arrive that evening. US mail is picked up from MIT's central mail facility at 7:30 pm, and goes directly to Boston's main sorting facility.

For more information about the Institute mail system, and additional services it offers, see Mail Services.

Recycling Program

The Institute-wide recycling program began in 1990 with the recycling of white paper. Since then, the program has expanded to include newspapers and magazines, glass and plastic bottles, aluminum cans, cardboard, catalogs and phonebooks, etc. Visit the program's website for more information on MIT's recycling initiatives, and for useful tips on waste reduction.

Moving Services

Moving services can be obtained by contacting MIT movers at x3-2967, and through a requisition with SAPweb. Please try to give at least a couple days' notice.

During peak seasons - commencement, for example, or at the beginning of the academic year - services from MIT movers may be difficult to obtain. During these times, it may be more efficient for you to contact an outside moving company, such as B. Stimpson & Son Movers at (617) 242-1858, or W. T. Butler Dismantling at (617) 846-0510.

Space Management

Any space change that changes the parameters of a room, costs more than $10,000 and/or requires the services of two or more construction trades must be reviewed through the space change process. The Space Administration and Design and Construction Staff acts as liaison to the Committee for Review of Space Planning (CRSP).

Procedures and request forms for space changes are available from the Space Administration website, from room 45-150, or at x3-3935. You can also download the space change request form from their website.

Each DLC is responsible for the management of the office and lab space allocated to them. A helpful site for information regarding building and room inventories that comprise the Institute's academic portfolio is available at Space Accounting. This site includes a link to Institute floor plans, which can provide information necessary.

Back to top


Search and Appointment Processes

Each year the School of Engineering (SoE) allocates faculty positions or slots for the coming fiscal year. There are two typles of faculty slots in the School:

Each year during the annual budget process, slots and funding associated with departing faculty are withdrawn from the departments/divisions. The reallocation of slots is determined by discussion among engineering council members. SoE's Engineering Council is comprised of the department and division heads and usually meets each Monday during the academic year. EC will generally discuss faculty slots at its November meeting. Each Council member makes a case for obtaining or renewing faculty slots. Notification of approval for TBA's is made within a week following this meeting and coincides with the annual budget process.

After being allocated a TBA, the department/division can begin a search. Faculty searches and other academic searches are developed by department division search committees, with the head of the department/division and in consultation with the SoE Dean's Office. You may contact the Manager of Faculty Diversity Searches for assistance with your faculty search.

For more information on academic searches, appointments, and promotions, you may refer to several sources. The MIT Policies and Procedures manual describes the process in greater detail. A second valuable resource is the Faculty Search Committee Handbook (PDF), which discusses the process of appointing a search committee, advertising for the position, and interviewing candidates. Faculty hires resulting from this process are appointed on the Academic Appointment (AAF) Form. Faculty appointments to any rank above Assistant Professor or appointments to named professorships should be accompanied by an Executive Committee Summary Sheet (downloadable Word document) that provides additional background information.

Normally, academic matters are administered by the SoE Dean's Office with results processed through HR as the system of record. HR is much more involved in administering non-academic positions.

Dual Faculty

In appropriate circumstances, a faculty member may have a primary appointment in each of two departments and/or divisions in the School of Engineering. Such individuals will be considered "dual faculty." This title is not to be confused with Joint faculty who are appointed in only one primary department. Joint faculty may file a secondary appointment with another department with whom they have intellectual ties. The slots and budgets of dual faculty are split between the appointing departments. See guidelines (PDF) regarding the "dual" appointment and review for promotion and tenure.

Preparing for New Arrivals

Depending on the size and culture of your DLC, you may support your faculty in several ways. Planning for the arrival of a new faculty member is an important part of that support. You can ensure a smooth transition for new faculty by doing the following (not all of these may apply to your DLC):

In some cases, DLCs need to renovate space (new carpet, paint, etc.) or furnish an office for a new faculty member. You should coordinate space renovations with the Department of Facilities, and place furniture orders through the Procurement Office. In cases when you cannot complete renovations or equipment installations before the faculty member arrives, establish a clear timetable so that s/he can make any necessary adjustments. Of course, the best strategy for renovations and installations is to start early.

Promotions and Tenure

The faculty promotion and tenure processes occur annually. The promotion process occurs in the Fall. The sequence of promotion is from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor without Tenure, and from Associate Professor with Tenure to Full Professor.

The tenure process generally takes several months. The process begins during the Fall semester and tenure is granted in the Spring. The process typically begins with the Department Head soliciting letters that review a candidate's research, teaching, and publications. If the candidate's accomplishments are deemed appropriate for tenure, the case is forwarded to the SoE Dean's Office. The Dean and all the Department Heads in SoE's Engineering Council review the case and vote on it. If approved, the case is then reviewed by MIT's Academic Council, which is composed of MIT's Provost and the Deans of the Institute. The final step is approval from the MIT Executive Committee.

MIT's Policies and Procedures web site provides greater detail on Faculty Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure.

Annual Salary Plan

All faculty are on the modified annual salary plan (MAP) and are paid over 12 months for 9 months of active service. Regular tenure track faculty may earn up to three summer months of salary, one of which must be in lieu of vacation. Each spring, faculty are queried about their summer salary plans. [See Faculty Summer Salary memo (downloadable Word document).] If faculty choose to be paid for a third summer month (or a part thereof), they must sign a vacation waiver (downloadable Word document) and process a summer salary request (PDF) with the Payroll Office. Faculty may also receive supplements for special activities and programs. These supplements must be administered according to Compensation Guidelines for Special Activities and Programs. These activities must be reported on the Outside Professional Activities form.

Back to top

Gifts, Endowments, and Fundraising

Gifts, endowments, and fundraising for your DLC usually involve several Institute offices including the Office of Resource Development, the Treasurer's Office, Alumni Office, SoE Dean's Office, in addition to your DLC.

The Giving To MIT web site is a helpful resource for learning more about the gift process. Although the site is geared toward donors and potential donors, it does provide information useful to administrators. For example, the site details the mechanics of giving and the value of unrestricted gifts, and it outlines the funding levels for designated gifts and naming opportunities.

If you receive a donation for your DLC, follow these steps to get the funds acknowledged and recorded.

  1. Send a thank you letter on behalf of your DLC. Letters should be sent from the department head and copied to an appropriate contact in Resource Development. For more information contact the SoE Development and Communications Office at 4-8400.
  2. If the gift is over $3,000, alert the MIT Office of Corporate Relations, E38-500, and ask them to also acknowledge the gift.
  3. Send the check to the Institute Treasurer's Office - Attn: Bonnie Kellerman, 238 Main Street - with a note indicating which cost object should be credited (a cost object is a specific project account, a collector of expenses and revenue. For a full explanation of cost objects, see Financial Management chapter of this introduction to SoE).
  4. Retain copies of the check and any acknowledgment letters.
  5. When the Treasurer's Office sends you a deposit confirmation, keep it with related correspondence in a cost object file or donor file.

Gifts of equipment must be properly recorded on the Institute's books. An annual notice from the Treasurer's Office (PDF) outlines the process for appropriate documentation.

Back to top


MIT's Office of Insurance and Legal Affairs processes claims for MIT incidents that involve theft, property damage, liability, or vehicle accidents (owned by MIT or rented for MIT-related business). The Office also serves as a liaison between the Institute and outside agents or carriers. Finally, the Office informs and educates the MIT community on current coverage and policy limitations.

Back to top

Medical Care

MIT Medical is a large multi-specialty group practice with about two dozen full-time and over 50 part-time physicians, as well as nurse practitioners, social workers, psychologists, and other health professionals. Designed to meet the needs of the entire MIT community, it is located in Building E23, at 25 Carleton Street, just off Kendall Square. MIT Medical offers not only routine care in dozens of specialties, but also emergency and urgent care, information programs, and mental health services.

For members of the MIT community, urgent medical care is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year at MIT Medical. In addition to being an organized health care provider for MIT Health Care participants, MIT Medical functions as our organizational "school nurse's office." (See Basic Facts.) Comprehensive health services at the MIT Medical Department are available to faculty and staff members and their families, regardless of their type of medical coverage. Many of the services are free, but others are not. Learn more.

Emergency Care (for a potentially life-threatening situation):

Campus Police will then provide ambulance service to MIT Medical or a nearby acute care hospital.

Urgent Care. If the need is urgent but not life threatening, call MIT Medical's Urgent Care Line (x3-1311) or go directly to MIT Medical's 24-hour entrance at 25 Carleton Street.

Information Programs. MIT Medical provides numerous Programs and Classes that range from information on dealing with stress to workshops on yoga, meditation, tai chi, and parenting.

Personal Assistance Program. Certain personal problems can seriously compromise an employee's effectiveness. The Personal Assistance Program offers initial assessment, referral services, and short-term counseling for alcohol and drug abuse, emotional distress (depression, stress, etc.), marital or family discord, economic or financial problems, and other personal problems. The program is also available to spouses (including same sex spousal equivalents) and children.

Back to top

Police Department

The MIT Campus Police provide for the safety and welfare of the MIT community and visitors to the campus. Police perform a variety of professional police and emergency medical tasks, including criminal investigations and apprehension, accident and fire response, missing persons investigations, crisis intervention, crime prevention seminars and publications, and parking and traffic enforcement.

Campus Police also provide the following services, which can be useful to Administrative Officers:

Back to top

Policies and Procedures

The Institute's Policies and Procedure Manual states the principal policies and procedures that guide MIT faculty and staff in the pursuit of Institute objectives, and in relations with the community at large. This useful resource provides a wide range of information including information on the faculty appointments process, research/staff appointments, privacy and disclosure of information, use of the MIT name, and information policies etc.

A valuable guide for administrators in handling matters relating to non-academic staff is the Personnel Policy Manual. It details the policies and practices established by the Institute's Department of Human Resources. Topics include hiring, employment, pay, leave, termination, and labor relations.

Back to top



The Procurement Office assists the Institute community in the procurement and purchase of goods and services. The office provides advice and counsel to ensure that MIT receives favorable prices and protective terms and conditions when purchasing. The office helps to ensure that DLCs comply with the Institute's government-approved procurement system, and provides the necessary request forms. The office also keeps a list of preferred MIT partners who provide quality products and services. As an Institute AO, you have several procurement options:

Back to top

Property Office

The MIT Property Office is responsible for the accounting and asset management of all equipment that belongs to the Institute, and equipment that is sponsor-owned but resides at MIT. Any item worth more than $500 must have an MIT property tag, which identifies it as MIT property, and allows it to be inventoried and its location tracked.

As your unit's AO, you are probably the person responsible for tracking property. When your unit receives new equipment, the Property Office will contact you for serial numbers so that equipment tags can be generated. Depending on the value of the equipment, these tags may be hand-delivered or sent via campus mail.

Each year, MIT depreciates its property by estimating its value based on increasing age and use. Property still being depreciated (property that still has value) may be sold, given away within MIT, or donated to a charitable organization (the Property Office has a link to the Cambridge public schools for donating computer equipment no longer in use). Property that has depreciated to a $0 value may be deactivated and disposed of. Such property may be listed at

Back to top



Your DLC may be asked to submit information to a variety of Institute publications, including the MIT Bulletin, Report to the President (aka "President's Report"), and the Institute telephone directory. Your DLC will typically be contacted for input by MIT's Reference Publications Office (formerly, the MIT Communications Office), or by someone in the SoE Dean's Office. For more information, visit the MIT Reference Publications Office.

DLC Brochures

Many DLCs publish brochures, pamphlets, newsletters, and other informational materials - both in print and in electronic form (visit the SoE Online Publications or News Archives pages for examples). Publications may be intended for current and potential students, sponsors, faculty, visitors, etc. Your DLC may develop these materials in-house and/or you may work with outside consultants.

If you choose to hire outside consultants, encourage your communications coordinator (which may be you) to contact the various groups of communicators at SoE and around the Institute. They can suggest vendors with a good track record, and can also provide tips on production. An important group is the MIT Editors Club, which shares information via monthly meetings and a listserv. For more information, contact Elizabeth Thomson (8-5402) who chairs the club.

Another resource is the MIT Publishing Services Bureau (PSB), which can provide assistance in hiring an appropriate vendor. PSB is a group of publishing professionals who can help to broker your communications projects and refer you to outside providers. And of course you can always contact SoE itself, and query the SoE Director of Communications for suggestions.

Note that we strongly encourage all DLCs to include the SoE logo on their websites and in their publications.


Your DLC may occasionally receive requests for benchmarking data that will be published externally. If these requests are for data maintained outside your DLC, please coordinate your responses with our Institutional Research Office. This will ensure consistency of MIT reporting.

In all circumstances, send the Institutional Research Office a copy of any data that you release outside of MIT.

Back to top


Records Retention

Back to top



As an AO, you will routinely file reports on various aspects of your DLC's status and activities. This section provides a brief overview of reporting resources.


To use MIT reporting tools, you must obtain an authorization. If you need help doing so, contact the Institute's Business Liaison Team (BLT) (which provides support for personnel using MIT's business applications).

Data Warehouse

The Data Warehouse is a comprehensive web-based date storage site that consolidates information from many MIT systems and databases. Information is easy to access once you know how to use the system. Data is current - loaded nightly by data providers - and is designed for quick access. The Data Warehouse can also relay data between different systems at MIT. If your duties involve handling large quantities of data, the Warehouse may be an important reporting tool for you.

Data from the Warehouse is brought to your desktop by a query tool. BrioQuery is the software most often used at MIT. It is particularly helpful because it lets you customize reports as needed, and save report formatting for future use. Learn more about this tool by taking a BrioQuery class.

The Warehouse currently contains four main types of information, each identified by its focus - financial, general, personnel, and student. Once the data is stored locally in your computer, you can format it to your liking and create many different reports.

Or you can export the results of your query into other software programs - such as Microsoft Excel - and manipulate the data locally. Your results can also be joined with local information from your own files. This is especially useful for instances when you need to create custom reports with information that is not stored in any of MIT's current systems.

Standard Reports

The Data Warehouse provides many useful ready-made reports. They can simplify the reporting process by guiding you through the report by prompting you with questions. Many reports supply the report creator's name, in case you need help modifying the report. Visit the Warehouse website to access standard reports.

Reports you may find especially useful for DLC management include:

For a full explanation of cost objects, cost centers, GL accounts, and other financial terms, see Financial Management.

Back to top

Searching for Diversity

All salaried positions (exempt from overtime pay) require an affirmative action serious search. Search plans (MIT certificate required) for all salaried positions should be routed through the Dean’s Office. (See the Staffing Services section of the Human Resources Management chapter for details on the non-academic search process.) When the search is completed, the Search Results (Excel file) should be forwarded to the Dean’s Office for approval before an offer is extended.

Back to top


Administrative Officers are responsible for all resources at their DLCs, including human resources. Non-academic staff appointments include Sponsored Research Staff, Administrative Staff, Support Staff, and Service Staff. The MIT Personnel Policy Manual is a primary guide to employment, hiring, leave, pay, and termination policies, as well as employment practices at the Institute.

The section below provides a brief introduction to management of Human Resources (HR) at your department, lab, or center. For more detail, and for more about the role of your DLC's Human Resources Officer (HRO), see Human Resources Management.

This HR Transaction Processing Table [***PLACEHOLDER***] identifies appointment categories, the transactions that can occur for each, what form to use, and where to send it.


All payroll categories — faculty, research, administrative staff, support staff, and student — are managed through the Payroll Office. Staff are either hourly or salaried. If they work hourly, they are paid weekly. If they are salaried, they receive their pay monthly.

Faculty are appointed through their home department. Faculty salaries are charged against general cost objects as well as research accounts. Faculty appointments are kept on the Summit system and show up on the monthly SANDI. Faculty have either nine-month or 12-month appointments. They are paid monthly.

All faculty are on the Modified Annual salary Plan (MAP) and are paid over 12 months for nine months of active service. Faculty are eligible for two months of summer pay if they can identify funds to cover their summer support. Each spring the faculty are queried about their plans for summer salary. [See Faculty Summer Salary memo (downloadable Word document).] If faculty choose to be paid for a third summer month (or a part thereof), they must sign a vacation waiver (downloadable Word document). All summer salary payments are made in July for activities in June, July, and August. Therefore, administrators must process a summer salary request (PDF) to the Payroll Office prior to the July payroll cutoff.

Sponsored Research Staff (SRS) are typically paid from fund-sponsored or research accounts. SRS appointments are for a specific amount of time based on the duration of the particular project to which they are assigned, or based on the terms of the funding source. SRS appointments are kept on the Summit system and appear on the monthly SANDI and DACCA report. SRS are paid monthly.

Administrative staff are salaried and are usually paid from general funds. Summit tracks administrative staff appointments, which show up on the monthly SANDI and DACCA report.

Support staff are paid hourly. Each week, you will receive paper time cards from payroll. Support staff hours are entered into the Summit system weekly using E-time, an electronic time sheet. The payroll office usually sends notices along with the paper time cards regarding the deadlines for entering the time cards. For example, if there is a Monday holiday, time cards are usually due in Payroll by 2:00PM of the first working day of the new pay week. Summit tracks support staff overtime, vacation, sick time, and other leave balances. Support staff are charged to general funds, as well as fund-sponsored accounts, and appear on the monthly DINDI and DACCA. Support staff is the only payroll category that requires submitting a weekly time card.

Research assistants and teaching assistants are given appointments and are typically paid from fund-sponsored or research accounts, though occasionally students are paid from general cost objects. Students receive a monthly stipend and tuition. These appointments are made through MITSIS and get sent to payroll. Payroll then monitors student appointments through Summit. The Summit system indicates the amount of pay, the cost object charged, and the term of the research or teaching assistantship. RA and TA salaries show up on the monthly SANDIs as well as the monthly DACCA report. Notices regarding the monthly cutoff for making any changes or new appointments are sent out from the Central Accounting Office.

Payroll vouchers are a convenient method for paying short-term employees (i.e., those who work for periods of up to two months). For example, you can pay temporary help using the voucher system. Before hiring a voucher employee, remember to contact your HRO to get authorization for MIT Payroll to make these payments. You enter payroll vouchers through Summit in E-Time, which is basically an electronic time card. Voucher payments are kept on the Summit system and appear on the monthly DACCA report.

Electronic processing of timesheets for support, student, and voucher payrolls is available on E-Time. For information on authorizations, call x3-6730. Contact the Accounting Officer (x3-7715) in the Controller's Accounting Office, who can send you copies of everything you will need to know to use the Summit system quickly and easily.

Note: for an explanation of Summit, SANDI, DINDI and DACCA, please refer to Acronyms and Terms in Financial Management. Also see Payroll Reporting in the Compliance section of that chapter.

Programs of Reward and Recognition

MIT. In 2001, the Institute launched the Rewards and Recognition Program to encourage acknowledgement of MIT employees. The program provides opportunities to recognize and reward administrative, support, service, and sponsored research staff, and - when appropriate - faculty and academic staff. Rewards are separate and distinct from base pay.

The Rewards and Recognition Program includes three smaller programs, which provide opportunities to reward individuals and teams with special recognition at various times during the year:

School of Engineering. Modeled on the Institute program of the same name, the Infinite Mile Awards for the School of Engineering recognize meritorious achievements by SoE staff, both as individuals and as teams:

Vacation Reporting for Staff

Reporting mechanisms for tracking staff vacation leaves are determined by the employee's payroll classification.

Vacation leave balances - both for support/service staff are tracked automatically vis the weekly time reporting process. In the case of support/service staff, vacation, sick, and personal leaves are maintained in the electronic payroll system (E-Time), and balances are printed weekly on the individual's paycheck stub. In the case of SRS, the Payroll Office sends every Lab and Center a monthly vacation report. The report lists the unit's sponsored research staff, and notes their vacation balances. You or your designate should complete this report every month indicating vacation used and return It to the Payroll Office for an update of the SRS vacation balances.

Departments and divisions should track administrative staff vacation leave balances in a database. The Vacation Tracker tool was developed by Human Resources to make it easier for departments to record administrative staff vacation time. The tool reflects the new Vacation Policy implemented November 1, 2002, and it automatically calculates all vacation time earned from that month forward.

See the Personnel Policy Manual's Vacation and Leave Policy for information on the vacation accrual schedule.

Back to top


Most of your DLC's graduate and undergraduate students are involved in research and/or teaching activities, and/or they are employed by your DLC for specific tasks.

Graduate students may be appointed as Research Assistants (RAs), as Teaching Assistants (TAs), or as fellowship recipients. Appointments may also be combined (for example, 50% RA and 50% TA); with the knowledge and/or approval of the faculty supervisors.

An important contact for answers to questions about graduate student funding is Janet Fischer in MIT's Office of the Provost. Feel free to contact her with questions about the graduate appointment process. She co-authored (with Janet Sahlstrom) an outline to the process called Graduate Aid Basics (PDF). A curriculum is being developed for academic and central office administrators involved in the graduate aid process. Janet also produces and distributes the "Funding Guide" annually.

When working with students, remember that the Institute's primary purpose is to help them meet their educational goals. You can have a positive impact on students' experience at MIT by keeping income and tuition off their list of worries.

Research Assistants (RAs)

Research Assistants (RAs) are graduate students employed by your DLC and supervised by a faculty member to pursue research. Sometimes that research relates directly to the RA's degree thesis (MS, Ph.D.) and sometimes it does not. The appointment always pays a salary to the student, and it usually provides a tuition credit.

The points below summarize key steps related to making RA appointments. Although they pertain specifically to RAs, they also apply generally to other graduate appointments as well.

People to whom one may submit requests for RA appointments:

Teaching Assistants (TAs)

Teaching Assistants (TAs) are graduate students appointed by an academic department and supervised by a faculty member to assist in subject teaching. Academic departments include TA positions in their annual budgets, and know before the academic year begins how many slots are available. Most departments have established policies on TA allocations. For example, a department may appoint one TA for every 75 students.

As with RA appointments, the Graduate Administrator processes these appointments. The administrator needs the same information as listed above for RAs, plus the subject number that the TA is supporting. These appointments are typically processed by term since subjects and faculty instructors can vary each semester. TA appointments provide a student with tuition credit and a monthly salary. TA stipend rates differ from RA stipend rates. If you need to obtain information on TA rates, the Graduate Administrator or the SoE Dean's Office can provide this information.

Fellowship Recipients

MIT graduate students may receive fellowships from external or internal sources. There is no expectation of work for fellowship recipients. Fellowship recipients typically receive their entire stipend support at the beginning of each term rather than on a monthly basis. Note that fellowship appointments are subject to specific IRS regulations, and may carry tax consequences.

Most external fellowships only provide partial financial support and often need to be supplemented. A valuable guide for understanding how to supplement outside fellowships is the Graduate Funding Guide. The Guide also provides spreadsheets for helping department administrators to manage the shortfalls.

MIT established the Presidential Graduate Fellowship Program to recruit outstanding students from around the world to pursue graduate studies at the Institute. The Program welcomed its first class of fellows in September 1999, and currently supports about 200 new graduate students each year. Janet Fischer administers the program from MIT's Office of the Provost.


Your DLC may employ undergraduates in a couple of ways - as MIT employees on a part-time basis (see Student Employment below), or through MIT's Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program.

UROP gives undergraduates a chance to participate in research projects conducted by Institute faculty and researchers. Each participating DLC has a UROP Coordinator, which may be you or may be someone you designate.

You or the student's faculty supervisor must determine the student's hourly pay rate. After being hired, students complete weekly time cards that are then approved by the supervisor. Refer to the Student Employment section below for tips on pay rates and time cards. Funding may come from your DLC or from the UROP program itself.

Student Employment

Your DLC may employ both graduate and undergraduate students as part-time employees. They are usually paid by the hour to work on projects ranging from routine clerical tasks to website design and maintenance.

To hire a student, you need two employment forms, both of which you can find at the Student Employment Office. The first is required by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. INS form I-9 proves that the student has the legal/visa status to work in the US, and it must be filled out once while a student is at MIT. The second is a student employment form; you will need to determine the length of the student's contract, rate of pay, and the cost object to be billed.

When employing students, keep in mind the following tips:

Visiting Students and Visiting Scholars

Your faculty may occasionally host students that are registered in degree programs elsewhere. If these students are visiting MIT to make substantive progress toward their degrees, they may be appropriately classified as a visiting students. As such, they must be registered with the International Students Office. They must also be on campus for three months or more to qualify, and must pay a fee of about $1000. The host DLC may elect to pay the fee on behalf of the student.

Note that visiting students are distinct from visiting scholars (or simply "scholars") which are not considered students. Scholars generally have already received advanced degrees, and/or have made significant contributions to academia, industry, or government. They work temporarily at MIT to pursue advanced study, and may serve as researchers, professors, or lecturers.

Different DLC's have various criteria for appointing visiting scholars. Funding also may vary - scholars may be funded by the DLC, by the Institute, or by an outside agency. For more information, visit the International Scholars Office website.

Back to top

Technology and Computing

All Institute DLCs rely heavily on computers to conduct day-to-day business. Part of your job as an Administrative Officer is to ensure that your unit has the appropriate level of support you're your Information Systems (IS).

Computing Support

Computers and computing networks are complex systems that often require expert knowledge to use, maintain, and repair. Operating instructions and user manuals are important resources, but they cannot replace a human being to explain computing issues and handle them. Your DLC's most important computing resource is an IS expert - someone you can call for help.

Larger DLCs may employ one or more experts dedicated strictly to maintaining systems. Smaller DLCs are more likely to use a local expert, someone whose primary job may or may not be related to computing, but who is sufficiently knowledgeable to provide support.

Another common option for a DLC is to hire an outside consultant - an expert to visit regularly and/or provide services on call. Whatever option you choose, your systems should receive the regular maintenance, upgrading, and troubleshooting expertise necessary for an efficient office.

In particular, you must be prepared for emergencies; support must be able available when you need it most!

IS Website

In addition to your IS expert, the MIT Information Systems website can provide important assistance in resolving systems issues. The site is an exhaustive source of information about computing at MIT, and you can solve many problems by referring to it. If your need is urgent, however, you may need to speak directly with a specialist. Call the Computing Help Desk for any type of IS assistance:

File Backups

One way to plan for emergences (which might include hard drive corruption, computer viruses, etc.) is to make backup copies of all important files. You should make this a habit, and encourage everyone at your DLC to do likewise. You can save these backup copies in local media such as Zip disks, Jaz disks, or CDs, or you can save them on a network.

If you choose a network, MIT IS offers a service that you may find helpful. The Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) is a client/server application that lets you back up and restore files from/to your computer over the network. You can also use TSM to archive files that you want to save for historical purposes.

Departmental Information Technology Resource (DITR)

The Institute's DITR group assists the MIT community in the application of computer technology to their work and research. Equipped with broad knowledge of I/S services and MIT's strategic plans for computing and networking, DITR consultants are capable of providing a wide range of services. In particular, DITR offers a range of Service Level Agreements, which can provide the level of support appropriate for your DLC.

Administrator Hardware Support

DLCs may participate in an Institute computing support program that provides free hardware upgrades every three years for computers used by administrators. This program has been very successful in ensuring that administrative computers are upgraded in a timely manner, and outfitted with software programs (SAP, BrioQuery, etc.) as new versions become available. Find out more about this program at the Office Computing Practice website.


Telephone Support Services can provide general information on telephone options, lines, voice mail, maintenance, etc. In particular, you can find out how these services can be ordered, charged to a DLC, or cancelled.

A jack is the piece of hardware mounted on the wall into which you plug your phone or computer. A network drop is a jack that has been activated for network service. At MIT, the same wiring runs to all jacks, so that they can be used for either network or telephone service, depending on your needs. There is a one-time fee to activate a jack on the network. Contact MIT IS&T to request a network drop (Ethernet connection) or read detailed descriptions of network terms.

Back to top


Your duties as an AO may occasionally require you to travel. MIT has fairly standard policies for traveling, but some sponsors have more stringent or varied policies. Keep in mind that the source of funding for the travel determines what policies you should adhere to.

Institute policies on travel and reimbursement change from time to time. To keep abreast of the latest policies, visit MIT's Travel Policy webpage.

Arranging Travel. MIT has three approved travel agents, which bill tickets to an MIT cost object. Use whatever agent best serves the needs of your DLC:

NOTE: When arranging foreign travel, please check for information on travel advisories, as well as MIT's Travel Risk Policy. Certain travel disclosure forms must be completed in advance of travel for faculty and graduate students traveling to high-risk areas.

Discount Air, Rail, and Rental Car. MIT has negotiated preferential discounts with some major airlines, rail services, and auto rental agencies. Please note that these rates are available only when booking through an approved MIT travel agent. For more information, click on the Discounts link at the Travel website.

Hotels. MIT has contracted with dozens of hotels around the country for rates below the standard "rack rate." You can book these hotels directly, but you must ask for the MIT rate specifically. Click on the MIT Hotel Rates link at the Travel website.

Travel Advances. To request a cash advance on your travel, submit a Travel Advance Request to the CAO Travel Office at least four days before you want to pick up the advance.

Travel Reporting. Within thirty (30) days of the date you complete your trip, you must submit a Travel Voucher that accounts for travel expenses. When converting the cost of foreign travel, use a currency converter to determine the US$ equivalent of a charge, and write the dollar value on the receipt. File the completed travel voucher only in US$.

Note that travelers (or even DLCs) that have excessively or persistently overdue reports may be barred from using MIT travel agencies.

Back to top


Visiting scholars and visiting students enrich the academic and research experience. It is important to ensure, however, that International Scholars and International Students arrive with the correct visa status and that all scholars and students are categorized correctly.

Back to top

Visiting Committee

Visiting Committees were established at MIT in 1875 to operate as advisory groups to the Corporation and the Administration. They offer appraisal, insight, and advice on each academic program at the Institute. They also influence other major activities, such as the library system, the offices of the Dean for Student Life and the Dean for Undergraduate Education, and the Office of Sponsored Research.

Each of the 31 visiting committees normally convenes every two years for a one-and-one-half day session. Approximately 425 distinguished professionals make up the Committees, including scientists, engineers, entrepreneurs, executives, and educators, many of whom are MIT graduates. Each visiting committee typically is composed of 17 members, which include five Corporation members (one of whom is chair), six alumni nominees, and six members nominated by the MIT President.

If your DLC is one of those that hosts a Visiting Committee (check website to determine) you will be responsible for assisting in preparation for this visit. The Corporation Administrator will work closely with you to produce any necessary information. Since each DLC is unique, your role in planning will depend on the requirements set forth by the Department Head/Director.

Back to top

Acronyms and Terms

For a comprehensive list of acronyms used at the Institute, see Acronyms and Abbreviations Used at MIT. For a comprehensive list of terms used with SAP (the Institute's financial system), see SAP Glossary.

AACII (sometimes referred to as "AAC-two"), MIT's Administrative Advisory Committee addresses concerns that are common to Administrative Officers. AACII serves as a liaison between MIT's central administration and its departments, providing a resource for individuals and organizations in the development of new initiatives and policies, and facilitating the discussion of many administrative issues.

AO, Administrative Officer.

BLT, Business Liaison Team.

CAO, Controller's Accounting Office.

CRSP, Committee for Review of Space Planning.

DLC, Department, Lab or Center.

DSO, Disabilities Services Office.

FO, Financial Officer.

FSS: Financial Systems Services. See SAIS

HR, Human Resources.

HRO, Human Resources Officer.

IS, Information Systems.

ISO, International Scholars Office or International Students Office.

MITSIS – The MIT Student Information System is an administrative system that serves all of the student services at MIT, including registration and academic records, student financial services, academic departments, housing and medical.

ORC – Operations Research Center.

OSP, Office of Sponsored Programs. The MIT office responsible for overseeing the sponsorship arrangements between Institute DLCs and outside sponsors. For more information, visit the OSP website or see the chapter on Sponsored Funds Management.

PSB, Publishing Services Bureau.

RA, Research Assistant. A graduate student employed by a DLC and supervised by a faculty member to pursue research.

SAIS, Student and Administrative Information Services

SoE, School of Engineering.

TA, Teaching Assistant. A graduate student appointed by an academic department and supervised by a faculty member to assist in course teaching.

TBA (to be appointed), In the context of faculty positions, a TBA is an open faculty position. The position has the necessary funding to support a faculty member, but no one currently fills the position.

UPOP, Undergraduate Practice Opportunities Program.

UROP, Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program.

ZBA, A faculty position that has been withdrawn at the time of a faculty member's departure. The ZBA is maintained in the SoE Dean's Office pending the School's annual reallocation process.

Back to top


People to whom one may submit requests for RA appointments:

Back to top

Electronic Tools and Training


BrioQuery is a tool for querying and reporting from Oracle databases, and in particular, from the Data Warehouse. The Data Warehouse provides the MIT community with integrated data from various administrative systems and stores it in one central location.


MIT created the COEUS system to facilitate sponsored program award acquisition and administration. COEUS includes a comprehensive proposal development module that allows departmental users to create a full proposal (including science and budget), route the proposal through the institutional hierarchy, and then submit it to the sponsor - all online.

COEUS also includes a robust post-award module that stores detailed information on awards, agency contacts, reporting requirements, terms and conditions, and the required approvals for the award. For more information, see COEUS.


A listserv is a useful electronic tool that lets you join an email list to receive posted information. One especially useful listserv is AOQuery. It frequently advertises open positions, free furniture, Institute meetings, and miscellaneous information helpful to Administrative Officers.


NIMBUS is the web-based system required for submitting and maintaining budgets. Use it to submit the annual budget for your DLC.

NIMBUS was first introduced to MIT in February 1999 (replacing MITBUD and the legacy BEERS database). NIMBUS is implemented by the MIT Office of Budget and Financial Planning, in cooperation with MIT Information Systems, the Controller's Accounting Office, and the office of Reengineering and Management Reporting. For more information, see NIMBUS.


The Roles database stores and maintains authorizations - the access privileges required to use MIT systems such as SAP. Use the Roles front-end application to display, create, and modify authorizations. Use it also to grant certain authorizations to others in your DLC. Limited view-only access is also available via a web interface.

The Roles database does not enforce the access rules that it maintains. It only collects the information and distributes it to the appropriate applications - usually as a nightly data feed. Applications with an interface to the Roles database interpret the access rules from the Roles database and enforce them.


SAP is the system of record for financial accounting and reporting at MIT. It is also used for purchasing goods and services.


MIT developed and maintains SAPweb, a Web-based interface to SAP. Use SAPweb to manage and/or review procurement requisitions, purchase orders, VIP Credit Card charges, journal vouchers, and more. For further information, see SAPweb.

Software and Systems Training

Formal software and systems training is available through the MIT Information Systems and MIT Professional Learning Center. Information on course offerings, schedules and registration can be found at Computer Training and the MIT Professional Learning Center.


SumMIT provides user-friendly access to data residing on the MITVMA and MITVMC mainframes. As of June 1999, the only SumMIT applications that maintain current data are for payroll (E-Time, ESANDI) and property (SumProp).

Use E-Time to enter timesheets for weekly paid employees (support staff, service staff, and students), and to enter regular payroll vouchers. Use ESANDI to maintain staff salary distributions across the cost objects and G/L accounts to which monthly salaries are charged. Use SumProp to search the property database on MITVMA from your workstation, and display and print data on departmental property items.

For more information, see SumMIT.

Back to top


How do I get an email account and email address?

You can create an email account and Athena User account via the Athena User Accounts website (Athena is MIT's campus-wide computing environment). To set up the account, you need an MIT ID number.

How do I connect to MIT's web server from home?

Tether is MIT's remote-access dialup service, and is an extension of the MIT computing environment. You can establish a Tether account through the Basic Facts About Tether website.

How do I sign up for automatic backup service for my computer?

Registration for MIT's backup service, TSM, can be made at MIT Backup Service.

What is a network drop?

A network drop is a jack that has been activated for network service. At MIT, the same kind of wiring runs to all jacks, so they can be used for either network or telephone service. Visit the IS web site for more detailed descriptions of network terms.

How do I get a network drop?

Contact MIT IS&T to request a network drop (Ethernet connection).

Are resources available at MIT for electronic publishing and communications?

The Web Communications Services group provides assistance and services relating to the World Wide Web and other electronic publishing tools at MIT. It also maintains the top-level MIT pages at IS/Web Communications Services. WCS is part of IS and also a part of the Public Relations Office.

How do I order furniture for an office?

The Purchasing Office maintains a list of preferred vendors that provide products and services to the Institute at attractive rates. You can purchase items from these vendors through an electronic catalog on SAPWeb (a web interface to the purchasing component of SAP).

If you need furniture only temporarily, the Department of Facilities can provide folding chairs, tables, podiums, chalkboards, easels, and so forth for conferences or special events. To make a request, click on Furniture Setups. Please give at least five days advance notice.

How do I reserve a conference room for a meeting?

To reserve a classroom, or find contact information for other meeting rooms, contact the MIT Registrar's Schedules Office.

How do I appoint someone to a faculty position?

Faculty are generally appointed through a formal search and review process. For a more detailed description, see Search and Appointment Processes above.

How do I get parking?

A parking permit is required for parking at the Institute. This permit can be obtained from the MIT Parking and Transportation Office or from your DLC Parking Coordinator (which often is the unit's AO).

Does MIT subsidize T passes? How can I get one?

Yes. An application is available through the MIT Parking and Transportation Office.

May I use an MIT VISA card to hold a hotel reservation, even if I plan to pay with a personal card?

No, plane tickets and hotel reservations may not be purchased/made with an MIT VISA.

Back to top

Forms and References

Back to top

Expanded Table of Contents

Back to top