Facilities Service Updates COVID-19
Facilities services remain available to campus during COVID-19
Please note that Facilities staff are on campus and continue to provide services to maintain operations. To support our students, faculty, researchers, and staff who are working, studying, and living on campus – crucial services remain operational, including custodial, repair and maintenance, mail services, and utilities. Our staff who are not on campus are actively working remotely, using online meeting tools and engaging via phone, email, and text.
Facilities services remain available during COVID-19
Request services or assistance
- Continue to place Service Requests in Atlas to order most services from Facilities, or view ways to request all service types.
- Questions? Contact the Customer Service Center team at 617-253-4948 or by email Monday through Friday 7AM to 3PM.
- Outside of those hours, calls and emails will be handled by the Operations Center. Managed by the Repair & Maintenance Operations group, the Operations Center continuously monitors all life safety and mechanical systems on campus, including fire alarms and heating and cooling systems. Team members work 24/7 to ensure quick response to emergencies and to make sure that all critical systems are functioning.
In preparation for COVID-19, our custodial staff have received enhanced training in cleaning and disinfecting touch points and have switched to a disinfecting cleaning solution, Morning Mist. This disinfectant meets the EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2.
- If desired, additional cleaning services can be requested via Atlas Service Request (see instructions).
- Please note that special decontamination procedures are only required for spaces occupied by individuals who are suspected of having COVID-19 (i.e., are being tested and/or awaiting results) or have been confirmed as positive. In the absence of a suspected/confirmed COVID-19 case, routine disinfection procedures are sufficient. If your office has a possible exposure related to COVID-19, please first contact MIT Medical, and then call Marty O’Brien, senior manager of Campus Services. Marty can arrange for the services you need and can be reached 617-253-6728 or email@example.com, or on his cell at 617-593-8997.
Recycling and Materials Management
- Recycling staff are on campus to remove recycling and bulk waste. We continue to serve the academic buildings and residence halls Monday-Friday. If you require a tote delivery, removal of an item, or other recycling service, please submit an Atlas Service Request.
- Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or Ruth Davis, manager of Recycling and Materials Management.
- Mail Services plans to continue to provide the Institute with all services, assessing needs daily and adapting as Institute recommendations require.
- Outgoing mail will continue to be collected and processed Monday-Friday; please note that collection times for campus boxes have changed from 5PM to noon.
- Mail collection boxes: We will not pick up from collection boxes in buildings that are temporarily closed on campus. View a list of collection boxes that remain available.
- We will hold packages and materials for any areas that are closed and not available for deliveries. If space becomes an issue within Mail Services, we may attempt package deliveries to secure locations within a DLC’s space.
- Get information regarding International service disruptions on our mail services page
- Questions may be directed to Marty O'Brien, senior manager of Campus Services, or Mike Fahie, manager of Mail Services.
- Please note that the Atlas Service Center is now providing most services remotely. In-person I-9 verifications resumed as of June 29; an appointment is necessary. Parking & Transportation staff continue to remain available via the online, email, and phone contacts provided on the Commuter Connections pages and via the Atlas website.
- Parking: To assist those who will continue commuting to the Cambridge campus, most MIT parking facilities on the Cambridge campus are free of charge and available to all MIT ID cardholders through December 2020. View location maps and learn more on the parking site. Note: The Medical and Ford (E19) lots are not included in this expanded program.
- MBTA Commuter Rail and LinkPass distribution: With the partial closure of the Atlas Service Center location in E17, student and employee commuter rail and LinkPasses that are usually picked up at the Center or distributed via interoffice mail will be mailed to home addresses or distributed via House Managers. View details including actions to take if your home address has recently changed.
- Deadline to cancel/suspend MBTA LinkPasses is noon on the 15th day of the month before the month you want to suspend or cancel (i.e., visit Atlas by August 15 to suspend September, etc.); learn how to cancel/suspend here.
- Shuttle service changes: Several of the campus shuttle services have transitioned to reduced schedules or have been suspended. View the updated schedule for each shuttle. EZRide shuttle service by the Charles River TMA will be maintained; we will post any updates here if any changes are made. Questions regarding shuttle services may be directed to email@example.com or 617-253-1440.
On March 19, 2020, MIT suspended construction activities in accordance with a temporary emergency construction moratorium instituted by the City of Cambridge. The City amended this order on May 20 and again on June 22 to allow construction to restart in a phased approach. MIT has restarted construction activities consistent with each phase of this approach and has implemented new health safeguards and protocols to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. View current construction activities.
The COVID-19 signage program has been designed to encourage healthy practices that comply with city and state guidelines for repopulating the MIT campus. Download and print signs for your area or link to the CopyTech catalog to order signs. The Department of Facilities is installing signs in common areas (such as main entrance doors, elevators, restrooms, and outside spaces). Visit the MIT COVID-19 signage page for information and to download and print signs.
MIT news and resources
News from our partner offices
Office of Campus Planning
OCP staff continue to work remotely.
Environment, Health & Safety
EHS staff continue to provide support services on campus. Visit the team directory to access staff contact information and to view the list of EHS Coordinators in the Departments, Labs and Centers. You may search by topic area, department support team, or role. If you have any questions or concerns, please email the EHS team or call 617-452-3477 Monday through Friday, 8AM to 5PM. Outside of those hours, please call the Operations Center at 617-253-4948.
Office of Sustainability
MITOS staff continue to work remotely.