Facilities Service Updates COVID-19
Facilities services as we emerge from COVID-19
Please note that Facilities staff continue to provide services to support our students, faculty, researchers, and staff who are working, studying, and living on campus. Crucial services continue to operate including custodial, repair and maintenance, mail services, and utilities. Off-campus staff who are working remotely are available through phone, email, text, and online meetings.
Facilities services currently available
Request services or assistance
- Continue to place Service Requests in Atlas to order most services from Facilities, or view ways to request all service types.
- Questions? Contact the Customer Service Center team at 617-253-4948 or by email Monday through Friday 7AM to 3PM.
- Outside of those hours, calls and emails will be handled by the Operations Center. Managed by the Repair & Maintenance Operations group, the Operations Center continuously monitors all life safety and mechanical systems on campus, including fire alarms and heating and cooling systems. Team members work 24/7 to ensure quick response to emergencies and to make sure that all critical systems are functioning.
To protect against COVID-19 and other viruses, our custodial staff uses Morning Mist, a disinfecting cleaning solution that meets the EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2.
- Please note that all students, faculty, and staff living and/or working on campus receive routine testing for COVID-19. If an individual tests positive for COVID-19, MIT Medical conducts contact tracing and notifies both EHS and the Custodial Services team (via Marty O’Brien, senior manager of Campus Services) of any spaces on campus that might require additional cleaning. In most cases, the regular cleaning of spaces has already occurred and no additional cleaning is required.
- In the absence of a confirmed COVID-19 case, regular cleaning procedures are sufficient. If your office has a possible exposure related to COVID-19, please first contact MIT Medical. MIT Medical will coordinate any cleaning services needed with our Custodial Services team. If you have questions related to possible exposure to COVID-19, view this MIT Medical guide for managers and employees.
- Questions regarding COVID-19 cleaning services may be directed to Marty O’Brien, senior manager of Campus Services, via email or phone (office 617-253-6728, cell 617-593-8997).
Recycling and Materials Management
- Recycling staff are on campus to remove recycling and bulk waste, serving academic buildings and residence halls Monday-Friday. If you require a tote delivery, removal of an item, or other recycling service, please submit an Atlas Service Request.
- Questions may be directed to email@example.com or Ruth Davis, manager of Recycling and Materials Management.
- Mail Services continues to provide the Institute with all services, assessing needs daily and adapting as Institute recommendations require.
- Outgoing mail is collected and processed Monday-Friday; please note that collection times for campus boxes have changed from 5:00 PM to noon.
- Mail collection boxes: Pick-up schedules are noted on each collection box, and service has resumed for most areas. We do not pick up from collection boxes in buildings that are temporarily closed.
- We will hold packages and materials for any areas that are closed and not available for deliveries.
- Get information regarding international service disruptions on our mail services page.
- Questions may be directed to Marty O'Brien, senior manager of Campus Services, or Mike Fahie, manager of Mail Services.
- Temporary increase in subsidies: To support the return to campus, commuting subsidies for benefits-eligible Cambridge employees will be increased from September through December 2021. Learn more.
- Parking: The program to provide free parking for all MIT ID cardholders concluded on June 30, and paid parking has resumed as usual. A parking account is required. Learn more.
- MBTA Commuter Rail and LinkPass distribution: In-person pickup of LinkPass and Commuter Rail passes is an option again, beginning with the August passes. View updated details about commuter pass distribution, including pickup dates.
- The deadline to cancel/suspend a Commuter Rail pass or LinkPass is noon on the 15th day of the previous month; learn how to cancel/suspend here.
- Shuttle service changes: Several of the campus shuttle services have transitioned to reduced schedules or have been suspended. View the updated schedule for each shuttle. Questions regarding shuttle services may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-253-1440.
- Please note that the Atlas Service Center has expanded in-person services and now welcomes walk-in visitors. Parking & Transportation staff are currently available via the online, email, and phone contacts provided on the Commuter Connections pages and via the Atlas website.
All construction programs on campus have implemented new health safeguards and protocols to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in compliance with federal and state requirements. View current construction activities.
The COVID-19 signage program has been designed to encourage healthy practices that comply with city and state guidelines. Download and print signs for your area or link to the CopyTech catalog to order signs. The Department of Facilities is installing signs in common areas (such as main entrance doors, elevators, restrooms, and outside spaces). Visit the MIT COVID-19 signage page for information and to download and print signs.
MIT news and resources
News from our partner offices
Office of Campus Planning
OCP staff continue to work remotely.
Environment, Health & Safety
EHS staff continue to provide support services on campus. Visit the team directory to access staff contact information and to view the list of EHS Coordinators in the Departments, Labs and Centers. You may search by topic area, department support team, or role. If you have any questions or concerns, please email the EHS team or call 617-452-3477 Monday through Friday, 8AM to 5PM. Outside of those hours, please call the Operations Center at 617-253-4948.
Office of Sustainability
MITOS staff continue to work remotely.