Freshman Essay Evaluation (FEE)
The Freshman Essay Evaluation (FEE) is MIT's writing placement test and is your first step toward completing the first-year component of the Communication Requirement. Your FEE result will determine which type of CI (Communication Intensive) subject you must take during your freshman year.
All students must take the FEE, except those exempted by an AP score.
You do not need to take the FEE if you have received a score of 5 on either the AP English Literature and Composition Test or the AP English Language and Composition Test.
- A score of 5 on one of these tests is the equivalent to the score of CI-H/CI-HW Required on the FEE.
- If you submit a score of 5, you are still required to take a Communication-Intensive subject (CI-HW or CI-H) in your first year as part of the Communication Requirement.
- If you want to be exempt from the FEE, MIT must have your AP Exam score on record before you arrive on campus.
- If you take the FEE prior to receiving your AP results, please note that
the best score will count.
- Be sure you've asked the College Board to submit your AP scores directly to MIT.