MIT: Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyClass of 2017

Right Now This Term: End of Term Processes

The end of the Spring Term is practically here. This is important information about planning for the end of this term, including guidelines and procedures for checking grades, and help for you if you did not do as well academically as you'd hoped.

At the end of each term, the Committee on Academic Performance (CAP) reviews the performance of all undergraduates. Freshmen who pass 39 or fewer units of credit receive special consideration by the Committee on Academic Performance, which evaluates each student's situation on an individual basis.

If you do not pass one or more full subjects, you may be reviewed by the Committee on Academic Performance for possible end of term action. See the special information for freshmen who pass 2 or fewer subjects.

Finding Out Your Spring Grades

Check WebSIS after May 28 to find out your grades. WebSIS will show all grades of A, B, C, D, or F. Grades of D or F are not passing grades.

Potential Outcomes of UAAP/CAP Review

  • If you fail one full subject (grade of D or F), you will automatically receive a UAAP "dean's letter" from Dean Julie Norman of the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming.
  • If you fail 2 or more full subjects, but are not on Warning from the Fall, the most likely result will be a CAP vote of Warning for the upcoming Fall semester. As a sophomore, this would limit you to 4 full subjects and no more than 51 units of credit for the following Fall semester.
  • If you are already on Warning from the Fall term and pass 2 or fewer subjects, you may be reviewed by the CAP for possible Required Withdrawal from MIT. Therefore, it is especially critical that you speak with your advisor immediately to discuss your situation and develop a good case for being allowed to remain at MIT.
  • Of course, you may also be in touch with either Dean Donna Friedman or Dean Julie Norman via for assistance with your situation.

Advice for Freshmen Who Pass 2 or Fewer Subjects

It is important to be pro-active in assessing your performance and coming up with a plan for success. If you are already on Warning from Fall term, it is critical that you write a statement to your advisor. You need to be proactive and advocate for yourself to be given another chance for academic success.

Here are some suggestions to help you evaluate your situation and come up with a positive plan for the coming semester:

  • Write your advisor an email letter or Word attachment that outlines your case for remaining at MIT. If you're not sure what to write, ask your advisor or staff in UAAP for help in formulating a realistic recovery plan for next term.
  • Present a concise, sincere, and clear evaluation of what the problems have been and what action steps you will be taking to ensure success next term. Some points that might be covered:
    • Were there extenuating circumstances that may have had a negative impact on your performance this semester? Did you seek help from anyone? What resources will you use next semester if such problems arise again?
    • What subjects will you be taking in your next term? It is important to have a good "recovery" term and not try to overload in order to make up for subjects failed this semester. You need to take the time to address the problems that led to poor performance. Take no more than three technical subjects and one HASS subject.
    • What concrete plans do you have for studying more effectively next term to ensure your success?
  • Whether or not there were extenuating circumstances that affected your performance, do make an appointment with S3, Student Support Services, x3-4861, room 5-104, or with MIT Medical Mental Health & Counseling, x3-2916, E23-3rd floor. Representatives from S3 and Mental Health attend meetings of the Committee on Academic Performance as non-voting members. They often speak on a student's behalf, providing supplementary information without betraying confidentiality.
  • You may always contact staff in the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming, 7-104, at or 617-253-6771 for help with this statement or with questions about the end of term.