First Year Academics: Credit for Previous Study - Transfer Credit and the General Institute Requirements
MIT grants credit for previous college or university study as either subject credit or general elective credit.
Subject transfer credit works the same way as taking the subject at MIT. For example, transfer credit for 18.01 meets the Calculus I General Institute Requirement (GIR). You do not need to do anything beyond the standard transfer credit steps to make such credit count: the Registrar takes care of that.
General elective credit does not count toward any Institute or department requirements. It helps fulfill the requirement that every degree include a certain number of units beyond the GIRs. Again, if you are granted transfer general elective credit you do not need to do anything more to have it used in this way.
MIT transfer credit for courses taken in the areas of humanities, arts, and social sciences at another college or university is usually granted as general elective credit. Occasionally, however, a Transfer Credit Examiner will grant subject credit and recommend that it be counted toward the eight-subject HASS Requirement.
For either type of HASS transfer credit:
- First contact the Transfer Credit Examiner for the HASS field in which you are seeking credit. Submit your supporting materials, or meet in person.
- If the Examiner signs your Request Form and approves general elective credit, submit your form to 7-104.
- If the Examiner approves subject credit and recommends credit toward the HASS Requirement, go to the next step.
- Contact the HASS Academic Administrator, Liz Friedman, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-253-4441. Bring her your signed form. She will review the type of credit recommended. If it is HASS Elective credit, she will sign your form and you can submit it to 7-104.
- If the Examiner has suggested HASS Distribution credit, take your signed Request for Additional Credit form to Patricia Fernandes, Advisor for the Communication and HASS Requirements, in room 12-126. She will review the type of credit recommended, and assist you with a petition to the Subcommittee on the HASS Requirement if appropriate.
For questions about the HASS Requirement and transfer credit, contact Patricia Fernandes at email@example.com or 617-253-2313.
If a HASS Transfer Credit Examiner grants subject credit (see previous section) and you want this credit to count toward MIT's Communication Requirement, take your signed Request for Additional Credit form to Patricia Fernandes, Advisor for the Communication and HASS Requirements, in room 12-126. She will help you prepare a petition to the Subcommittee on the Communication Requirement.
For questions about the Communication Requirement and transfer credit, contact Patricia Fernandes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-253-2313.
If you have a sufficient amount of MIT credit units, Dean Julie Norman of UAAP may offer you early sophomore status at the end of your first semester. In order to be eligible for this offer, all transfer credit must be fully processed and listed on your academic record by the last day of the Fall Term. Credit transferred after that date will not count toward eligibility for sophomore standing.
For More Information
Address questions to email@example.com or telephone 617-253-6771.