First-Year Academics: Freshman Essay Evaluation (FEE)
The Freshman Essay Evaluation (FEE) is MIT's writing placement test and your first step toward completing the freshman Communication Requirement. Your FEE result will determine which type of Communication Intensive (CI) subject you must take during your freshman year.
All students must take the FEE, except those exempted by an AP or IB score.
The FEE is administered online twice during the summer, once in June and once in July. You must register in advance on the FEE website, where you will also find registration deadlines and detailed instructions.
- You may choose to take the test in either June or July; however, you are strongly encouraged to register and take the FEE in June.
- Some CI-H subjects have a limited enrollment. Details on enrollments will be available when you register online. Additional registration and advice will also be posted on this site in August.
- If you are unable to take the online FEE in June or July, you must take a paper-and-pencil version of the exam when you arrive on campus for Orientation. You do not need to register for this version in advance.
- If English is not one of your primary languages, you should still take the online FEE. If you are unable to take the online FEE, you will need to take the English Diagnostic Review (EDR) test during Orientation instead of the paper-and-pencil FEE.
You do not need to take the FEE if you have received one or more of these exam scores:
- 5 on the AP English Literature and Composition exam
- 5 on the AP English Language and Composition exam
- 7 on the English A or B Higher Level International Baccalaureate exam.
- If you want to be exempt from the FEE, MIT must have your score on record before you arrive on campus. See the AP and IB pages for details on reporting scores to MIT.
- Submitting one of these scores allows you to take any CI-H or CI-HW subject to fulfill your freshman Communication Requirement. Scores exempt you from the FEE, but you must still take a Communication Intensive subject (CI-HW or CI-H) in your first year as part of the Communication Requirement.
- If you take the FEE prior to receiving an exam score that would otherwise exempt you, you may take any CI-H or CI-HW subject to fulfill the freshman Communication Requirement, regardless of the FEE result.