First-Year Academics: PE, Lab & REST Requirements
This page details the Physical Education, Laboratory, and Restricted Elective General Institute Requirements.
The Physical Education General Institute Requirement
Physical Education is part of the General Institute Requirements; students cannot graduate without fulfilling this GIR.
- All students are required to complete a minimum of eight points and the swim requirement.
- P.E. points do not count towards the freshman credit limit.
- Physical Education points can be earned in various ways, through core courses or alternative options such as group exercise classes, personal training sessions, private swim lessons, or participation in varsity sports or ROTC.
- Students are expected to complete the P.E. requirement by the end of the sophomore year.
- All undergraduates are required to meet the swim requirement either by taking the swim test or by taking a swim course.
- Swim courses are offered throughout the year and students can register through the on-line physical education registration system.
For complete information, see the PE website.
Laboratory and REST Requirements
The REST (Restricted Electives in Science & Technology) consists of 2 subjects and the LABoratory requirement 1 or 2 subjects (12 units total). Read more in the Bulletin.