Advising Right Now: Assisting Advisees with Choice of Major
Your advisees will need to declare a departmental major this spring. More information about deadlines, procedures, and advising the anxious freshman follow below.
- By Friday, April 22: Every freshman was expected to either declare a departmental major or else declare him/herself to be an Undesignated Sophomore.
- However, April 22 was a "soft" deadline. So, if an advisee needs additional time to consider options, s/he has until Thursday, May 12 (last day of classes) to declare either a major or declare Undesignated sophomore.
- Final Deadline to submit Choice of Major form: Thursday, May 12, last day of classes.
- If any of your advisees feel overwhelmed by this decision, s/he can take a little additional time to think this decision through, see Advising the Anxious Freshman below.
- Please arrange to meet with each of your advisees to discuss their Choice of Major decision.
- Your advisee should fill out the 2019 Choice of Major form before meeting with you or you can just print it out and fill it out manually when you meet. The Course selection form is an online, editable, PDF document downloadable from the Class of 2019 website.
- The student should bring the printed form to you; you both sign the form.
- The student submits the signed Choice of Major form to the Student Services Center, Room 11-120.
- You do not need to make a copy of the Choice of Major form for the student's record, unless you wish to keep a copy. The student need only to hand in the signed form.
The Exploring the Major section of the Class of 2019 site is an excellent resource for your advisees as well as for you. There is extensive information on majors and minors at MIT, including a timeline, department links, advice on making the decision, words of wisdom from upperclassmen, and and much more.
Remember, too, that the Undergraduate Administrator or Undergraduate Officer in a particular department is always the best resource for questions, concerns, or information.
Choosing a major is often fraught with anxiety. Many freshmen are unsure or perhaps are deciding among several majors. Please reassure an anxious student that this is normal.
If a freshman needs additional time, s/he can delay handing in the Choice of Major form until May 12, or else choose to be an Undesignated Sophomore.
If you have a relationship with the student, you may choose to continue as the student's advisor for first semester of sophomore year. Many freshmen welcome the opportunity to continue this advising relationship.