Advising Right Now: Finishing the Fall Semester
Even though the end of term is a ways off, we want to give you a "heads-up" regarding some upcoming dates, deadlines, and procedures that may affect you and your advisees.
Every year approximately 20% of freshmen will have completed at least one-quarter of their degree by end of Fall term, making them eligible for Early Sophomore Standing.
If a freshman is eligible for early sophomore standing, s/he will receive an offer by Julie Norman, Senior Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education, and Director of the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming to change their student status to sophomore. There is no petition process to become an early sophomore.
Eligible students may decide to remain a freshman, or if electing sophomore status, may:
- choose a major and join an academic department, or
- become an undesignated (UND) sophomore and continue to keep you as their advisor for second semester
In late November (after Drop Date), the Registrar's Office determines which freshmen are potentially eligible, assuming successful completion of the first semester. This determination includes both the number of completed GIRs and percent of degree credit earned. Moreover, the student must have satisfied the freshman Communication Requirement.
- Advanced Placement credits and/or transfer credit: In order for the student to be eligible for early sophomore status, all outstanding AP or transfer credit must be fully processed and listed on the student's academic record by end of final exam period, that is, no later than Friday, December 19, 2014.
- CI-H subject taken and passed: An otherwise eligible freshman who did not take and pass an appropriate Communication Intensive HASS subject in the first term will not be allowed to take early sophomore status.
- Again, there is no petition process to become an early sophomore.
- It is in student interest to accept by January 16, 2015. This will all the new academic department to assign a new major advisor in a timely manner. The official and absolute final deadline to accept Early Sophomore Standing is Spring Add Date, Friday, March 6, 2015.
At the end of each term, the Committee on Academic Performance (CAP) reviews the performance of all undergraduate students.
As the academic department for first-year students, the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming will review the academic performance of all flagged freshmen and seek your input into any recommendations to the Committee on Academic Performance. The CAP holds two sets of meetings. Please note these dates, in the event that the UAAP needs to be in touch with you in January about any of your advisees:
- Wednesday, January 7, 2015: First Year Grades Meeting
- Wednesday, Thursday, January 21-22, 2015: Deferred Action Meetings
Additional details will be posted later in the Fall.
Freshmen will pre-register for IAP and Spring on WebSIS and meet with you subsequently to solidify their registrations for the spring. All students must initiate online Pre-Registration by Friday, December 31, 2014, to avoid late fees.
All students are limited to 12-unit credit limit for IAP. Freshmen have a limit of 57-units for the spring semester.