Advising Right Now: Spring Semester Registration Considerations
Before meeting with your advisees, please read the following information carefully about the freshman credit limit, prerequisites for higher-level subjects, special sequencing of Organic Chemistry subjects, and the importance of completing the freshman Communication Requirement this year.
Online Registration opens for all students on Monday, January 27, 2014. Detailed information about the registration processes will be posted on the Registrar's site.
You are expected to meet in person with each advisee to verify and approve registration choices no later than Monday, February 3 (Spring Registration Day). If you and your advisees are on campus earlier than Reg Day, you may certainly meet earlier in the week of January 27-February 3 to complete online registration.
- Remember that second-term freshmen are on a strict 57-unit credit limit. Please make sure your advisees are registered for no more than 57 units this semester.
- Exception: Freshmen placed on Academic Warning by the Committee on Academic Performance because of poor fall semester performance, are strictly limited to 4 subjects, up to 48-units of credit.
Freshmen are required to complete one Communication Intensive (CI) subject by the end of their first year at MIT.
- If any of your advisees did not take an appropriate CI-H or CI-HW subject this fall, please be sure that s/he signs up for one in spring semester.
- Failure to fulfill the Communication Requirement will have academic consequences. Freshmen who do not successfully fulfill the CI-H requirement in the first year may be placed on Academic Warning by the Committee on Academic Performance at the end of the term.
- Be sure your freshmen have the pre-requisites for next semester's subjects.
- Subjects listed as co-requisites may be taken concurrently.
- If any of your advisees plans to apply to medical school or to major in Chemistry (Course 5) or Chemical Engineering (Course 10), s/he needs to pay special attention to the scheduling of 5.12 and 5.13, the Organic Chemistry sequence. 5.13 is given only in the fall term and has 5.12 as a pre-requisite. Therefore, students are strongly encouraged to take 5.12 in the spring so that they may take 5.13 in the fall of their sophomore year.
- Remind advisees that the PE requirement is also a General Institute Requirement that they are expected to complete of before end of sophomore year.