Advising Resources: Online Freshman Advising Folder
Each advisee's Online Freshman Advising Folder contains the following information:
- Any Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate, or G.C.E. A-Level scores received by MIT, including the resulting subject credit or general elective units. In some cases there may be multiple scores for the same test, as your advisee took the exam more than once. In these cases, credit evaluation/placement is based on their highest recorded score. An advisee whose folder is missing any AP scores should ask the College Board to send a new report to MIT (code 3514). Once received, AP scores will appear in the student's folder.
- You only had temporary access to Part 2 of the student's Admissions application via the Online Folder. Please note that Part 2 is only available online until Registration Day, Sept. 8. After September 8, the Admissions information is taken down. Please print out a hard copy if you want to keep it in the student's folder.
- Results from the Freshman Essay Evaluation (FEE) and summer transfer credit evaluations.
- Scores for tests taken during Orientation (Math Diagnostic for Physics Placement and any Advanced Standing exams) will be entered as the results come in.
- Note: Students who did not take the FEE online over the summer must take the make-up FEE during Orientation Week. For these students the folder will display only the score, not the essay or grader comments.
- Enrollment in a Freshman Advising Seminar or Mission 2019/Terrascope, if applicable.
Since the folder is part of MIT's Online Student Information System (WebSIS), access is limited to you, your advisees, and MIT officials who have a legitimate educational interest. For more information, see MIT's Student Information Policy
Access to WebSIS and the Online Folder requires authentication using either MIT web certificates or kerberos login. If you do not have MIT certificates installed, please follow the instructions provided on the IS&T website to obtain them. Certificates cannot be transferred from one computer to another. You must obtain your certificates through each web browser and on each computer that you intend to use to look up your students' information.
Online Freshman Advising Folders are viewable from the Students' Records for Advisors page of WebSIS (accessible from the For Advisors and Departmental Administrators section). To view a given advisee's folder, select "Freshman Folder" from the "Select Record" list and the name of an advisee from the "Select Student" list, then click the "Create Report" button.
Changes in Folder Displays
After Add Date, check your advisees' status of registration in WebSIS to make sure that the AP or Advanced Standing credit displayed on their folder as awarded appears appropriately on their fall registration.
If anything is missing, remind the student to contact the Registrar's Office to make sure that his/her credit is processed. WebSIS will display AP and Transfer credit with an "S" rather than a grade. The Status of Registration will not display results from the Math Diagnostic or FEE placement tests, since these are used primarily for selecting appropriate subjects during registration.