Student Support Offices and Departments
While we encourage students to bring any question or concern to you, you cannot be an expert on everything. Use these pages for your own preparation and for reference when you want to send a student for further help.
- Student Support Services: Support and advocacy for all issues, support for special groups, consultation for advisors.
- MIT Medical Department: Offers a single, centralized source for all student health care needs, including comprehensive health insurance, care and treatment at the on-campus medical center, referral to outside specialists and facilities, and an extensive roster of health promotion programs.
- Office of Minority Education: Offers programs that encourage the promotion of excellence among under-represented minority students, celebrate academic achievement, and provide opportunities for mentorship and academic enrichment. Sponsors the Tutorial Services Room, open to all students.
- International Students Office: Advice on travel and other immigration issues, processing of required forms, and a host program. The ISO encourages international students to see one of their counselors by appointment, in order to allow enough time for careful attention to complex issues.
- Student Disabilities Services: Seeks to ensure that students with disabilities receive equal access to all Institute programs and services. Some students may be reluctant to contact Student Disabilities Services, especially about "invisible" conditions like learning disabilities; Disabilities Services staff can help you work with such students.
- LBGT@MIT: MIT and its surrounding communities offer a broad spectrum of services, activities, and resources for LBGT, questioning, and supportive individuals. This site includes information on the Rainbow Lounge, the online Lavender Guide, an events calendar, a monthly newsletter, Trans@MIT, and a report form for homophobia and hate incidents.
- MIT Police: In an emergency dial 100 from any campus phone or call 617-253-1212. The Campus Police maintain the official Lost & Found and register laptops as well as patrolling the campus, helping with medical transport, and educating for safety.
- Information Services & Technology: Both you and your advisees may need to use this site, which provides a wide range of information on hardware and software used at MIT. IS&T also includes telecommunications.
MIT Together is the online portal to support resources for students. The site provides a clear path to help, advice, and support for students in need and offers insight into how various programs and services work. Everyone needs help at one point or another, so check out what MIT Together has to offer.