The section is designed to help you in your role as an associate advisor. It provides you with advice on working with your advising group, and the information you need to stay informed on important issues during the academic year, so that you can advise more effectively.
The section is updated frequently to focus on topics of importance; as the semester progresses and ends.
- Current Issues for Your Advisees: Issues currently affecting your advisees and what you can do to help.
- Developmental Advising: Developmental advising stresses that advising should go beyond simply giving information or signing a form.
- Effective Communication: Tips for communicating effectively with your advisees and advising group.
- Communicating with Your Advising Group: Challenges and Solutions: Communication challenges and recommendations for how to overcome them. Includes tips on how to stay in contact with your advisees.
- Confidentiality: Information on the Student Information Policy and your responsibilities on confidential student information.
- Advice for Organizing Advising Activities: Tips and ideas for planning social events and activities with your advising group.
- Ideas for Advising Activities by Category: not sure what activities to organize with your advising group, check out these examples.
- Sample Emails for Advising Activities: To help you get sarted with organizing activities with your group, some sample emails have been compiled.
- Nominate Advisors for the Outstanding Advisor Award: The annual Outstanding Advisor award honors and recognizes a freshman Advisor who has demonstrated outstanding dedication to freshmen.
- Nominate Associates for the Outstanding Associate Advisor Award: The annual Outstanding Associate Advisor award honors and recognizes an Associate Advisor who has demonstrated outstanding dedication to freshmen.