Upcoming 2011-2012 Concert Dates:
8 PM, Friday October 14, 2011, at Kresge Auditiorum -- free
Annual Family Weekend Concert
A joint concert with the MIT Wind Ensemble, featuring a special tribute to our troops. Frederick Harris, Jr., Music Director; Kenneth Amis, assistant conductor.
MITWE performs music by Berlioz, Vaughn Williams, Holst, and Randall Thompson. FJE performs music by Wayne Shorter, Thad Jones, Bob Brookmeyer, and others. Special guest jazz vocalist, Beth Logan, will also be featured.
8 PM, Friday November 18, 2011, at Kresge Auditiorum -- $5
The Art of Transformation
Featuring compositions and arrangements by Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, Thad Jones, Hermeto Pascoal, Oliver Nelson, Guillermo Klein, Eddie Harris, and Herbie Hancock.
7 PM, Thursday December 1, 2011, at the Coffeehouse, 3rd floor of the student center -- free, with refreshments!
Come enjoy some socialization, pizza and wings with the FJE! We'll be performing a compilation of various pieces from the FJE's Fall 2011 repertoire, including compositions and arrangements by Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, Thad Jones, Hermeto Pascoal, Oliver Nelson, Guillermo Klein, Eddie Harris, and Herbie Hancock.
8 PM, March 2, 2012, at Kresge Auditorium -- $5
Fifth Annual Herb Pomeroy Memorial Concert
Featuring pianist Ray Santisi, and other special guests.
Music by Pomeroy, La Porta, Ellington, Sharifi, and others.
7 PM, March 6, 2012, at the Coffeehouse, 3rd floor of the student center -- free, with refreshments!
Come enjoy some socialization, pizza and wings with the FJE! We'll be performing a compilation of various pieces from the FJE's Spring 2012 repertoire, including compositions and arrangements by Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, Horace Silver, Mark Harvey, Guillermo Klein, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, and our very own Adrian Grossman!!
7:00 PM, April 20, 2012, at Killian Hall -- free
Annual Campus Preview Weekend Concert
A joint concert with the MIT Wind Ensemble.
7:00 PM: Open Forum Q & A "Music at MIT" with Dr. Frederick Harris, Jr.
7:30 PM: Concert
8 PM, April 27, 2012, at Kresge Auditorium -- $5
The Spirit of Song
With special guests: the MIT Jazz Choir -- John Harbison, Music Director.
Premieres by Harbison, and music of Mingus, Monk, Frank Foster, and others.
Below is a list of previous articles and reviews of the Festival Jazz Ensemble, with links to the full article when applicable.
- 2oo4.o3.16, The Tech: Festival Jazz Ensemble's Got Rhythm -- MIT Group Dazzles With 'Transformations' of Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington
- 2oo3.1o.21, The Tech: Jazz, Dance Highlight Annual Concert -- Wind Ensemble and Festival Jazz Ensemble Deliver Engaging Performances for Family Weekend
- 2oo3.o5.o6, The Tech: Old Meets New in Jazz Celebration -- Festival Jazz Ensemble Founder Herb Pomeroy Leads 40th Anniversary Show
- 2oo2.11.19, The Tech: All Smiles at the FJE -- Magali Souriau Leads an Inspirational Concert
- 2oo2.o5.14, The Tech: Bops With Joe Lovano -- MIT Festival Jazz Ensemble
- 2oo2.o3.o5, The Tech: MIT Festival Jazz Ensemble -- Horn-Toting Men in Black
- 2oo1.o5.o9, Tech Talk: MIT Jazz Ensemble hosts New York drummer, vocalist
- 2oo1.o5.o8, The Tech: "Wind Ensemble Presents Stravinsky & Colgrass"
- 2oo1.o5.o1, The Tech: (Photo of Rajesh Mehta with subtext)
- 2oo1.o4.1o, The Tech: "Music Groups Treat Pre-frosh to Evening Concert"
- 2oo1.o3.o2, Boston Globe: "Jazz Notes"
- 2ooo.12.12, The Tech: (Photo of Mark Harvey performing with subtext)
- 2ooo.11.21, The Tech: "Gunther Schuller's 75th Birthday Concert"
- 2ooo.11.17, Boston Globe: "Gunther Schuller Composes His Life"
- 2ooo.11.15, Tech Talk: "MIT Celebrates composer Gunther Schuller's 75th birthday"
- 2ooo.11.1o, Boston Globe: Schuller looks back on his dual worlds"
- 2ooo.1o.24, The Tech: Family Weekend Concert: A Celebration of American Music
- 2ooo.1o.13, The Tech: "50th Anniversay Celebration Concert"
- 2ooo.o4.28, Boston Herald: "Peers wish trumpeter a happy birthday" (not archived)
- 2ooo.o4.28, Boston Globe: "Jazz Notes" (not archived)
- 2ooo.o4.26, Tech Talk: Institute celebrates jazz legend Pomeroy on his 70th birthday"