I'm interested in how language structure does and doesn't facilitate communication, and how the pressures of managing information transfer between speakers can explain cross-linguistic patterns in grammatical structure.
Can language be hard to process if it's too predictable? Read my Master's Thesis to find out!
Can grammatical gender be explained as a grammatical system for reducing the entropy of nouns? That's the topic of my Senior Thesis!
Here are some things I'm interested in:
* Grammatical gender and noun classifiers,
* The so-called Animacy Hierarchy,
* Variation, especially involving word order,
* Language change and grammaticalization,
* Models of language production,
* Almost everything else!
My languages of interest so far are Mandarin, German, and Hungarian.