Where GY1 is the program for "The Many," GY2 is the more comprehensive, highly selective program for "The Few." In it, you'll get the InternshipPlus, valuable team (and potential class) leadership opportunities, exclusive networking opportunities, and more.
The second year of GEL is rigorous and demanding, and it comes with valuable benefits and tangible career-enhancing rewards.
Advancement to GY2 is based on your attendance, performance, participation, motivation and commitment in GY1. We also consider your career goals and commitments for the upcoming academic year.
It is neither mandatory nor required that you advance to GY2. If you choose not to apply to advance to GY2, you'll simply earn a GEL Year One Program Certificate of Completion and you'll continue to be apprised of GEL events and activities.
If you choose to apply for admission to GY2, here is the process:
1) Your application will take the form of a one- or two-page self-evaluation which should include a brief reflection on your performance in GY1, specifically what you learned and how you put some of those lessons into practice. Your self-evaluation should also:
- Address your performance in GY1 and your suitability to advance to GY2 including reflection on your:
- Commitments (academic & extracurricular) that may interfere with GY2 next year
- How you've done in GY1 so far (attendance, performance, participation, motivation, commitment)
- List 2-3 goals you hope to accomplish in GY2
- Briefly mention your career goals
2) In addition to considering your self evaluation, ELP staff/faculty may seek input from your current Team Leader and Class Leadership.
3) Program staff will carefully review your self-evaluation and may invite you to an in-person interview.
4) Admission will be contingent on satisfactory completion of GY1.
5) Send your "one-pager" to Bruce Mendelsohn, Director of Communications & Outreach
Feel free to ask program staff and current GY2s for their insights and help.