Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership Program
Michael A M Davies
Michael A M Davies has a portfolio career that spans the worlds of academia, consulting and new technology ventures:
- As a (part-time) Senior Lecturer in MIT's Engineering Systems Division he teaches technology and strategy, providing a strategic framework for managing high-technology businesses, leads the Systems Leadership & Management Praxis and Lab programs, providing real-world application of the hard skills from SDM program, and supervises research on related topics
- As a Guest Lecturer at London Business School he is responsible for and teaches New Technology Ventures – a unique program that brings together scientists from University College London with MBAs from London Business School to evaluate novel ideas and inventions
- He was recently the Expert Witness for the Department of Justice in the major anti-trust investigation of the AT&T and T-Mobile merger
- He is Founder and Chairman of Endeavour Partners, a boutique consulting firm that works with top management of leading high-tech businesses such as Verizon, Vodafone, HTC, Samsung and Northrop Grumman to develop and execute business and technology strategy, and to build the capabilities of top management
- He is also Chief Technology Officer of an angel-backed equine telemetry and informatics start-up (EquuSys, Inc.) that he co-founded to commercialize one of his patented inventions
Before this he founded and sold a successful global boutique consulting firm, worked in blue chip consulting firms such as Boston Consulting Group and Braxton Associates, and held a range of executive roles in high-tech firms such as BellSouth International.
He has an MBA with Distinction from London Business School, and two Masters degrees in Engineering, from the Universities of Cambridge and Durham in the UK. He was born in New Zealand, educated in the UK and has made his home in the U.S. for the last ten years or so.
In early 2007, Michael Davies was recognized as a World Class New Zealander. He has served on the research or advisory boards of both large and small high-tech companies, such as YouCastr, Ember Networks, Evolution Networks, Mitsubishi Electric, Motorola Research, and Smith & Nephew.
He is a member of the Advisory Board of the Massachusetts Technology Leadership Council (MassTLC), serves on the Executive Committee of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) Communications Society in New England, and is also a member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), of the Academy of Management, of the Strategic Management Society, of INFORMS and of the Product Development Management Association (PDMA).
He is a keen supporter of the All Blacks (and anyone playing Australia), (Emirates) Team New Zealand, the Boston Red Sox (and anyone playing the New York Yankees), the New England Patriots and his daughters' competitive riding, lacrosse, and cross-country running. When he can find the time he entertains avidly, travels widely, plays tennis, skis, sails, reads voraciously and loves cooking.