Application form for September 2014 admission
will be posted here in mid-September 2013
Application deadline is January 1, 2014 at 11:59 pm
Eastern Standard Time
Applications must include all of the following in order to be reviewed:
- Application form including $75.00 application fee to be paid by credit card.
- Statement of objectives (section 9) entered either as text in the field provided OR uploaded as a PDF, but not both.
- A writing sample (section 10) such as a research paper or a chapter from a thesis. There are no specific parameters in terms of content, but the length should not exceed that of a chapter or article. It must be uploaded in the online application as a PDF. Please do not use the text box.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae. To submit, upload a PDF in section 7 (Test Scores/Experience) at the end of the page.
- Three letters of recommendation (section 2). Enter the evaluators’ contact information in this section. You then must go to the “Letter Status” link, copy the relevant information, and send an email with the provided information to your evaluators. It is in your best interest to send the emails out as soon as possible; do not wait to submit the application before sending the emails. You can later return to this page to see which letters have been submitted.
If an evaluator has difficulties using our admissions system, please ask him/her to mail the evaluation form and/or recommendation letter in a sealed envelope directly to the department:
Doctoral Program in HASTS
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, E51-163
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (section 6. Colleges/Universities Attended). Upload a PDF of your transcript from each school you attended under the listing for that school. Only applicants who are advanced to round two of our admissions process will be required to provide official, sealed transcripts from each school attended.
- GRE scores (section 7). Have your official scores sent from ETS directly to MIT. The institution code is 3514 and our department code is 2703. Please also be sure to enter your scores and upload a PDF of your score report in section 7 (Test Scores / Experience) of the application. The exam MUST be taken before December 31, 2013, in order for your application to be reviewed.
- For non-native English speakers, either the IELTS (preferred) or TOEFL score is required. Have your official scores sent from either IELTS or ETS directly to MIT. Please also be sure to enter your scores and upload a PDF of your score report in section 7 (Test Scores / Experience) of the application. The exam MUST be taken before December 31, 2013, in order for your application to be reviewed.See our FAQ Page for more information about submitting the scores and requests for waivers.
Click on the following links for an admissions overview, funding and frequently asked questions.