Mihir Kumar Purkait
Phone: (617) 253-6555
PhD (2005): Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur, India
M.Tech (2001): Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur, India
B.Tech (1999): Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Calcutta, India
Advance separation processes
Sr. Lecturer (2004-5): Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Guwahati (9 months)
Assistant Professor (2005-8): Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Guwahati (3yrs)
Associate professor (2008-till now): Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Guwahati
Govt sponsored project: (Completed: 4, ongoing 2)
PhD thesis supervision: (Completed: 4, ongoing: 3)
M.Tech thesis supervision: 8
Patent applied: 4
Publication in international journals of repute: 46
Presentations in national and international conferences: 24
- Recipient of "BOYSCAST Fellow" award for the year 2009-2010, from the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India.
- Young Scientist Medal Award from the Indian National Science Academy (INSA), 2009.
- The Young Engineers Award in the field of Chemical Engineering from The Institute of Engineers (India), 2009.
- Dr. A.V. Rama Rao Foundation’s Best PhD Thesis and Research Award in Chemical Engineering/Technology” for the year 2007 from Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (IIChE).
- Rajiv Gandhi Shiromani Award, from National Integration and Economic Council , 2007.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on “Waste Management using BioScience and Technology” in the International Journal of BioSciences and Technology (2008).
- Honorary Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of BioSciences and Technology.(2008).
27. B. K. Nandi, R. Uppaluri, M.K. Purkait, Identification of optimal membrane morphological parameters during microfiltration of mosambi juice using low cost ceramic membranes. LWT, Food Sci. and Technol. (Accepted, 22nd June, 2010).
26. Somen Jana, M K Purkait; Kaustubha Mohanty, Preparation and Characterizations of Ceramic Microfiltration Membrane: Effect of Inorganic Precursors on Membrane Morphology, Sep. Sci. and Technol., (Accepted 21st June, 2010).
25. B. K. Nandi, R. Uppaluri, M.K. Purkait, Microfiltration of Stable Oil-in-water Emulsions using Kaolin based Ceramic Membrane and Evaluation of Fouling Mechanism. Desalination and Water Treatment, (Accepted April, 2010)
24. B. K. Nandi, B. Das, R. Uppaluri, M.K. Purkait, Studies on submicron range microfiltration inorganic membranes: Preparation, characterization, application and cost analysis. (Membrane Water Technol, Accepted, 2010.
23. B. K. Nandi, A. Moparthi, R. Uppaluri, M.K. Purkait, Treatment of Oily Wastewater Using Low Cost Ceramic Membrane: Comparative Assessment of Pore Blocking and Artificial Neural Network Models, Chem Engg Res Des., 88(2010)881 – 892.
22. D. Ghosh, C. R. Medhi, M. K. Purkait, Treatment of Drinking Water Containing Iron Using Electrocoagulation, Int. J. Environ. Eng 2 (1-3) (2010). 212 - 227
21. Somen Jana, M K Purkait ,Kaustubha Mohanty, Preparation and characterization of low cost ceramic microfiltration membrane for the removal of chromate from aqueous solution, Applied Clay Sci.47 (2010) 317 - 324.
20. B. K. Nandi, B. Das, R. Uppaluri, M.K. Purkait, Ultrafiltration of Mosambi Juice using Low Cost Ceramic Membrane. J. Food Engg., 95 (4) (2009) 597-605
19. B. K. Nandi, R. Uppaluri, M. K. Purkait Treatment of oily waste water using low cost ceramic membrane: Flux decline mechanism and economic feasibility. Sep. Sci. Technol., 44 (12) (2009) 2840 - 2869.
18. D. Goswami, Rajshekhar, M. K. Purkait, J.K. Basu, S. De, Micellar Enhanced Base Catalyzed hydrolysis of ethyl acetate using TTAB. Int. J. Chem. Reactor Engg. 7 (S2) (2009) 1 - 18.
17. M.K.Purkait, V. Dinesh Kumar, D. Maity, Treatment of Leather Plant Effluent using NF Followed by RO and Permeate Flux Prediction using Artificial Neural Network, Chemical Eng. Journal, 151 (2009) 275-285.
16. B.K. Nandi, R. Uppaluri and M.K.Purkait, Effects of dip coating parameters on the morphology and transport properties of cellulose acetate ceramic composite membranes, J. Membr. Sci. 330 (2009) 246-258
15. S. Dhir, R. Uppaluri, M. K. Purkait, Oxidative Desulfurization: Kinetic Modeling J.Haz. Mat, 161 ( 2009) 1360-1368.
14. B. K. Nandi, A. Goswami, M. K. Purkait, Removal of cationic dyes from aqueous solution by kaolin: kinetic and equilibrium studies, Applied Clay Sci., 42 (2009) 583-590
13. B. K. Nandi, A. Goswami, M. K. Purkait, Adsorption characteristics of brilliant green dye on kaolin, J. Haz. Mat, 161 (2009) 387-395
12. M.K.Purkait, S. DasGupta, S. De, Determination of thermodynamic parameters for the cloud point extraction of dyes using TX-100 and TX-114, Desalination 244 (2009) 130-13
11. D. Ghosh, C. R. Medhi, M. K. Purkait, Treatment of fluoride contaminated drinking water by electrocoagulation using monopolar and bipolar electrode connection, Chemosphere, 73 (2008) 1393 - 1400.
10. B. Chakrabarty, A. K. Ghoshal, M. K. Purkait, Ultrafiltration of stable oil-in-water emulsion by polysulfone membrane, J. Membr. Sci., 325 (2008) 427-437.
9. B. Chakrabarty, A. K. Ghoshal, M. K. Purkait, Effect of Molecular Weight of PEG on Membrane Morphology and Transport Properties, J. Membr. Sci., 309 (1-2) (2008) 209-221.
8. H. Solanki, D. Ghosh, C.R. Medhi, M. K. Purkait, Electrochemical Remediation of Crystal Violet J. Env. Protech Sci., 2 (2008) 25 - 35.
7. B. K. Nandi, A. Goswami, A. K. Das, B. Mondal, M. K. Purkait, Kinetic and equilibrium studies on the adsorption of crystal violet dye using kaolin as an adsorbent, Sep. Sci. Technol., 43 (2008) 1382-1403.
6. M.K. Purkait, S. DasGupta, S. De, Precipitation of cetyl (hexadecyl) pyridineum chloride using mono and divalent oxyanions, J. Haz Mat, 160 (2008) (502-507)
5. B. Chakrabarty, A. K. Ghoshal, M. K. Purkait, Preparation, characterization and performance studies of polysulfone membranes using PVP as an additive, J. Membr. Sci., 315(1-2) (2008) 36 - 47
4. B. Chakrabarty, A. K. Ghoshal, M. K. Purkait, SEM Analysis and Gas Permeability Test to Characterize Polysulfone Membrane Prepared with Polyethylene Glycol as Additive. J. Colloid and Interf. Sci., 320 (1) (2008) 245-253.
3. M.K.Purkait, D. Maity, Prediction of flux decline during membrane filtration of leather plant effluent, (Accepted, Int. J. Env. Waste Manage., (2008))
2. D. Ghosh, H. Solanki, M. K. Purkait, Removal of Fe (II) from tap water by electrocoagulation technique, J. Haz. Mat, 155 (2008) 135-143
1. B.K.Nandi, R. Uppaluri, M.K.Purkait, Preparation and Characterization of Low Cost Ceramic Membranes for Microfiltration Applications, Appl. Clay Sci. 42 (2008) 102-110