Book Drive / Books for Bangladesh
The purpose of the Book Drive program, also known as Books for Bangladesh, is to collect both new and used academic books and journals and donate them to academic institutions in Bangladesh. We believe this is one of many meaningful ways that expatriates and Bangladeshi students in universities abroad can help higher education initiatives.
Resource constraints can curtail institutions' abilities to stock libraries with books of the most recent editions. Limits in telecommunications infrastructure also mean that journals that are available online in the USA are not as readily accessible to students and academics in Bangladesh. Our initiative seeks to successfully address these shortfalls.
The broader objective of the program is to help strenghthen research capabilities of academic institutions in Bangladesh by providing up to date academic texts and journals. We aspire to:
- Send a greater proportion of books to institutions outside Dhaka since these are the institutions that have more limited funding.
- Collect books from a wide range of disciplines.
- Collect journals: Most journals are available online, but this might not be an option for students and academics in Bangladesh.
- Perform follow-up surveys to ascertain efficacy of book drive and to assess needs of the institutions.
- Ensure that the Book Drive continues and is not a one-off event.
The Books for Bangladesh program took off in 2006, and is spearheaded by MIT alumni and Brandeis and Tufts graduate students.
For more information, please visit the Books for Bangladesh website.